Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have no AirPlay icon in toolbar yet after purchasing and installing OS X Mountain Lion

AirPlay mirroring

MacBook Air (13-inch Late 2010), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 4:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 5:08 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

AirPlay Mirroring requires a second-generation Apple TV or later, OS X 10.8 or better and is supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer). It also requires the computer to be using wi-fi.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 8, 2012 5:08 AM in response to Dr. Hoora

Welcome to the Apple Community.

AirPlay Mirroring requires a second-generation Apple TV or later, OS X 10.8 or better and is supported on the following Mac models: iMac (Mid 2011 or newer), Mac mini (Mid 2011 or newer), MacBook Air (Mid 2011 or newer), and MacBook Pro (Early 2011 or newer). It also requires the computer to be using wi-fi.

Aug 9, 2012 11:08 AM in response to Dr. Hoora

I learned this the hard way, after upgrading to Mountain Lion I discovered that my MBP wasn't new enough to use the AirPlay Mirroring with my Apple TV. I've remedied this with a new MBP but I have to be honest I'm a little miffed that they excluded it from a 2009 MBP. I'd like to know what the technical reasons for leaving that feature out of that model were.

Oct 22, 2013 10:19 PM in response to Dr. Hoora

Another option. I have been using Air Parrot (airparrot.app) to mirror to a TV in my other room from my mid 2010 27" imac with great success. Love the app! Just as easy to use as mac mirroring. Just thought I would throw out as another option for mirroring. I didnt realize untill reading this tread that having an older machine would would stop or not let mac mirroring work. Just installed Mavericks and thought I would have mirroring now... I guess I will keep using my Air Parrot app.

I have no AirPlay icon in toolbar yet after purchasing and installing OS X Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.