Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Enable Root User

When following the instructions above, when I get to item 9 "Choose Enable Root User from the Edit menu", the "Enable/Disable Root" button is not even displayed in my Directory Utility. Mac OS X 10.6.8 - Help pls!!

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 6:26 AM

7 replies

Aug 8, 2012 10:02 AM in response to Kurt Lang

I appreciate all the warnings and advice and will certainly bear them in mind.

However, I still need help figuring out

a.- why the "enable/disable root" is not visible in the directory utility where all the tutorials and how-to's say it should be

b.- how to make it appear

c.- how to enable root

btw the previous version of os x was 10.4.11 and would enable me to access root through terminal.

Aug 8, 2012 10:21 AM in response to moira63

a.- why the "enable/disable root" is not visible in the directory utility where all the tutorials and how-to's say it should be

Were you following these instructions?

btw the previous version of os x was 10.4.11 and would enable me to access root through terminal.

In Terminal, you can do almost anything as root without actually enabling the root user account. All you need to do is use the sudo command. You are giving yourself temporary root powers with that command.

Aug 8, 2012 11:00 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Thanks! I was able to find my way around after searching google and other help how-to´s, etc.

I started with the root enabling search after being unable to access root in Terminal. In the end, that one was easy to sort out once I found out that sudo in Mac OS X v10.6 or later requires a non-blank admin password (whereas previous versions accepted the commands just by pressing enter with no password).

As soon as my mac guy comes back from his vacation I expect he'll sort out the rest and find the way to enable root in the Directory Utility.

Aug 8, 2012 11:40 AM in response to moira63

that one was easy to sort out once I found out that sudo in Mac OS X v10.6 or later requires a non-blank admin password (whereas previous versions accepted the commands just by pressing enter with no password).

D'oh!!! I had completely forgotten that. Yes, you cannot have a null admin password in Snow Leopard or later. Well, you can for logging in, but Terminal will not work, as you discovered. There are also a handful of third party apps which will not accept a null password. FileSalvage I know is one.

Enable Root User

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.