Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Rectangular Selection in Preview toolbar

Is it possible to add the Rectangular Selection directly to the toolbar in Preview (without having to first click on the Edit toolbar)? If not, what is the keyboard shortcut for Rectangular Selection?

I see now that the edit options are different for PDF and image files, maybe that's why it's different. But I use rectangular selection all the time and it's annoying to have to click one more time.

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 7:00 AM

4 replies

Aug 22, 2013 4:24 PM in response to Kyle Cranmer

Ugh - yes! The old Preview was quite efficient and fast -- I hate this decrease in productivity in an "upgrade". It seems to be across many native Mac applications.

I have to do a lot of pdf -> png conversions with cropping. With the old preview, this was:

1. Open file

2. Click "rectangular selection"

3. Draw box

4. Command-K

5. Command-Shift-S

6. Change to png

7. Hit return

Now it is:

1. Open file

2. Go to Tools

3. Select "rectangular selection

4. Draw box

5. Command-K

6. Go to File

7. Select "Export"

8. Change to png

9. Hit return

Urgh. Introduction of two slow steps. Annoying enough to make me google and now complain. With the next upgrade, they'll probably get rid of my beloved Command-K.

Oct 20, 2013 2:53 PM in response to pandask

I agree this is a terrible "improvement" to Preview, along with forcing the user to click on "View" to get to

the contact sheet.

Here is a slight improvement over the solution above: Instead of "Go to Tools" and

select "Rectangular selection", you can do shift-command-A and then click on the

rectangle at the right of the edit bar.

Anyone know how to PERMANENTLY set "Rectangular" as the default selection,

e.g. by editing a plist??

Rectangular Selection in Preview toolbar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.