Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

two month old macbook pro 17" hangs on switching user

I switch user several times a day. The past three days the password is accepted, a light grey (not my bacground) screen is displayed and it hangs. Last night in sequence I:

Punched all the keys - no effect.

Press power button, get options, select sleep screen is cleared, computer continues running. Wait a minute.

Press power button again, get options, select shutdn screen is cleared, computer continues running. Wait a few seconds.

Press power button again, get login screen, login and all is normal, i. e. all apps are where they were before screen went blank.

On a previous occasion After the second try I held the power button down for 15-20 seconds and nothing happened. The third or fourth try rebooted the computer.

Also computer will not sleep for several days and I have tried everything I can find on bing searching the problem.

There are so many problems with this computer that I am wondering if there is a hardware problem or if it is a vermin-infested Lion. In addition to the above: sync services appears to be a mess (OS X 10.7.4). Safari 5.7.? would sometimes display pages that could not be scrolled or clicked in but a second or third try would be OK. And new pages might respond to the cursor after a minute or more. I upgraded to Safari 6.0 and it is totally useless with the same problem most of the time. But Opera 12 works well.

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 9:35 AM

1 reply

Aug 9, 2012 10:04 AM in response to randallfromfarmington hills

Extensive fiddliing around and I think:

1.I have no idea why the grey screen hangs.

2. The problems with sync services at 10.7.4 are reported by many.

3. No one seems to report anything on Safari 6.0

4. I closed down step by step to administrator running no apps but finder. Insomnia remains. Shutdown and power back up clears that problem.

5. Pure speculation: Over the prior 3 days I was trying to use an external disk on this machine as a backup destination for Todo Workstation backup running on a win 7 machine. win 7 networks with this machine without a problem. But todo backup has frequently reported problems when people try to connect to network drives. I eventually succeeded. I cleared all connections on the win 7 machine before shutting down but I wonder if some task for smb sharing was still running in OS X even though I had stopped its sharing and ejected the disk.

two month old macbook pro 17" hangs on switching user

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.