Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two dozen Hour long interviews FCP7?

I have two dozen interviews, each an hour long, to import. They are AVCHD mts files (Panasonic)...I have the Panasonic fix allowing import rather than log and transfer. Halfway through the process, FCP 7 crashed. Reopening the project is taking a long time. I'm the producer, not the editor and this is my cut. What should I know? Have I exceed some media limits? Thanks. I have 200-300 gigs of headroom besides the original files.

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 9:37 AM

3 replies

Aug 8, 2012 9:57 AM in response to Wryter

You need more headroom. A lot more.

And you will need to log and transfer this footage. FCP does not like to work with AVCHD material native, especially when it is really long. You have to convert to ProRes 422, or ProRes LT before you can edit it with any ease in FCP.

If you don't want to convert, look at other options like Adobe Premiere Pro. That allows you to edit AVCHD native...as long as you have a fast computer, lots of RAM and a qualified graphics card.

If you aren't all that technical, hire someone who is to prep this footage for you. I do this all the time for people.

Aug 9, 2012 9:07 AM in response to Shane Ross

Shane,

Thanks for a quick response. Some months ago, I downloaded AVCCAM Importer when Pannasonic announced it. Do you have any experience as to its effectiveness or stability? It seems to claim that the QTplugin can bypass log and transfer.

"AVCCAM Importer is a software for Apple Final Cut Pro to enable direct editing of AVCHD* ".mts" file without conversion. " (from their website)

Since FCP7 crashed a couple of times, I'm wondering whether this just didn't pan out when offered to the field for real world use. My timeline is ProRes 422.

Thanks,

Jim

Two dozen Hour long interviews FCP7?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.