Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Final Cut Pro 7 Unexpectedly Quits When Sequence is open! Please Help!

Hey,

Im running Final Cut Pro 7 on my Mac OSX Snow Leopard. Its run great, problem free for months, but last night it decided to start quitting on me. I've searched and searched and can't figure it out. It happens whenever I double click a sequence or video footage.

Everywhere I've searched the first answers are always did you delete your prefs but everyone who asks always says it doesn't help. What should I do here? I got a project due for a client.

If I were to re-install FCP, would I lose my projects? When I reinstall will they appear as if I never deleted the program?

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 11:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 12:32 PM

It is possible your project is corrupt.

Open a new project(different name) and copy everything from the old one into the new one and then close the old project. Rename the old seq in the new project and see if it opens.

Do you have any stills that are over 4000x4000 or not RGB?

10 replies

Aug 8, 2012 1:30 PM in response to MDF31

But did you TRY deleting your preferences? Do you want me to point you to posts here where it DID solve the problem? It doesn't solve every problem but there's a reason it's the first troubleshooting step. DigitalRebellion's preference manager allows you to back up your preferences so you can restore them if the reset doesn't help.

www.digitalrebellion.com

Personally, it has solved problems on my system. as I said not every one, but it's a good place to start.

You could also have a corrupt piece of media. If deleting preferences or darbypsnm's idea doesn't work, post back and we'll walk thru the steps to find the problem.

Aug 8, 2012 2:23 PM in response to MDF31

Okay I think it is a corrupt file. I opened up a new file, and added a second sequence. Although there was no other information in that sequence I was able to open it up. When I went to copy the other sequence, I was able to paste it in the new project....but once i opened that old sequence in the new project....it shut down. How can I get everything i edited without opening it? I put a lot of time into that.

Aug 9, 2012 6:29 AM in response to MDF31

If you have a corrupt piece of media, try this.

Before you launch fcp, disconnect any drives where media for this project resides. If by some chance, media resides on your startup drive (generally not recommended) move these files to another folder. Duplicate your fcp project file (for safety sake) and launch the duplicate project. You will get a notice that your media is offline. Do not reconnect at this time. Will the sequence open? If so, more than likely you have a piece of corrupt media.

Reconnect your media drives. Make sure they are available on the desktop. Now gradually reconnect the media til you find the problem clip. Sometimes just doing this process will shake things up enough and you'll be able to reconnect everything. If you need more specific directions, or something's not clear, post back.

Aug 10, 2012 11:49 AM in response to MDF31

sorry you've got a deadline. When you have time, there's lot's of ways to set up your system to avoid or at least minimize these kind of problems.

In the meantime, here are some excellent troubleshooting steps.

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-2591

What format are you working in? What are your clip settings and your sequence settings? Are you using any 3rd party plugins?

Many times, fcp will allow you to work with problematic material for a while, so just because things were working yesterday, doesn't mean that there weren't problems inherent in your workflow.

Final Cut Pro 7 Unexpectedly Quits When Sequence is open! Please Help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.