Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Storage Solutions (but not computer backups)

There are many articles about external hard drives for backups, but what about as a source to store home videos and pictures? For example, I have a MacBook Air 128GB that can’t store much. My backup drive is a Time Capsule 2TB. After extensive research it turns out the using the TC as a backup (using Time Machine) AND as extra storage is not recommended (problems with partitions). As such the 2TB is an overkill for the 128GB "McAir."

So how do I find a 2 identical hard drives of say 1TB each to store home videos (HD) and thousands of pictures? These files do not fit on the notebook so therefore do not get backed up with Time Machine. Currently I have files in a windows laptop, USB flash, Camcorder flash, etc that need proper storage.

I would use 2 so that the second one is a backup of the 1st. What is the best way to go about it? Thanks.

Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 1:55 PM

1 reply

Aug 8, 2012 2:12 PM in response to flisflis

There are plenty of different solutions..

Generally a true NAS.. ie one that has mirrored drives and real backup is the way to go..

Look at Synology two drive NAS.. they are not cheap but the files are stored and you can setup automated backup.

A media computer is also a reasonable solution.. I don't know where you are but the micro HP servers are now hugely popular here.. they are cheap and take 4 drives. You can load it with several different OS from Linux or FreeNAS to full windows or some media distribution.

A Mac Mini can also do this kind of service but you need to use FW (much better than USB) hard disk on it. Use it as a media computer and file store.

Apple seem to be heading cloud.. (where their head is).. but for most people, our internet speeds are not such that loading media into cloud storage is viable.. great for backup.. not so great for anybody outside of high speed fibre service.

External Storage Solutions (but not computer backups)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.