Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Sound From Ear Speaker- Apple Wants FULL price to replace

Hello- My iPhone4's ear speaker just stopped working. I have to use it with either an earphone or on speakerphone which makes it pretty much useless.

Took it to the Apple store and the less-than-genius said, "Ya, its broken and out of the 1yr warranty, but within the 2yr contract. Thus, you'll have to pay the non conctract price of ~$900. Would you like to use mastercard or visa?"

Thus, I said no thank you.

Two questions:

- Has anyone ran into this problems and if so, how did you fix it?

- Why does Apple only offer a 1yr warranty for a product that has a 2yr contract? Not very nice.

I noticed that most Android products like Samsung have a 2yr warranty. If I can't fix this, I'll just switch. ATT said they would let me purchase a samsung phone and just renew my contract. Thus, I'm only out $99.

Any help? Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.5), iMac, MacPro, Mac 128, Newton, Apple II+, Atari 2600

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 2:39 PM

4 replies

Aug 8, 2012 3:01 PM in response to KiltedTim

Not "jailbroken" (what is that?) and its never been to another service place.

Dunno... Guess the suggestion that there's more to the story must be that the genius guy didn't quote me correctly.

If you're suggesting there's something I'm leaving out, I have no idea why you would suggest that and is sort of our of the bounds of the question. Maybe you should get a job at the genius bar 😀

Thx.

Aug 8, 2012 5:15 PM in response to mr.bill

mr.bill wrote:

I noticed that most Android products like Samsung have a 2yr warranty.

In the U.S., almost all cell phones (including Samsung) come with a 1 year warranty. In fact, I know of no manufacturer that offers a 2 year warranty in the U.S. Perhaps it is different in other countries. Cell phone carriers generally will offer an extended warranty. Apple also offers an extended warranty called Apple Care. If you did not chose to avail yourself of such options, you take the risk of having to pay the retail cost of the phone if you need to replace it.

Aug 8, 2012 5:27 PM in response to mr.bill

"Guess the suggestion that there's more to the story must be that the genius guy didn't quote me correctly."

Nope, it's clear that you didn't quote the Apple representative correctly. Despite what you claimed, you were never told that the replacement/repair would cost $900.

"Why does Apple only offer a 1yr warranty for a product that has a 2yr contract?"

The one year warranty is from Apple. The two year contract is with AT&T. Two separate and completely different companies.

You've been directed on "how to fix" the situation, and we wish you well with your new Android device.

No Sound From Ear Speaker- Apple Wants FULL price to replace

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.