Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Switch Applications by Clicking Panes

Upgraded from 10.6 to 10.8. Switching between applications has changed. For example, I used to switch from a Safari window to a Mail window simply by clicking on the mail window in the background. However, now I have to click either on the very top of the window, or it requires 2 or 3 clicks before that window will come to front.

Another change is that I used to be able to close windows in the background -- even from other programs -- simply by clicking the red close button. With 10.8, when I click the red close button for a window that is in the background, it highlights the button but does not close the window. In order to close it, the application now must be in the foreground.

Another example, just right now, I clicked in the grey left-side open drawer of my Mail application which is in the background, and it does not come forward. If I click on the main list of emails, it also does not come forward. But if I click on the title bar, it will come to front.

Anyone else notice this step backward in window management?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 5:20 PM

What happens in your Guest account, or create a fresh account to test?

8 replies

Aug 22, 2012 4:26 PM in response to Last Chance Rand

Found no fix for this other than a rebuild of my user account.

• First, I did a Time Machine backup.

• Made a clone via SuperDuper, which twice failed due to disk i/o error; required me to delete a key operating system file in order to successfully complete the clone on third attempt. (Note to self: drive is failing.)

• Inserted my 10.8 bootable recovery thumbdrive, wiped the boot drive, and installed a fresh OS X.

• Created Admin account for just-in-case, then created a second account in my usual name.

• Used Migration Assistant to copy Applications and Other Files; did NOT copy User directory.

• Carefully copied User/Library from clone to new user account, thinning out tons of crap that has accumulated over past 15 years of migrating user from Mac-to-Mac... Weeded out preferences, application support, for old PPC apps and apps I no longer use or have.

• Very carefully copied from clone to new account these folders:

- User/Library/Keychains

- User/Library/Mail

- User/Library/Calendars

- User/Library/Application Support/AddressBook

• Copied from clone Documents, Movies, Music, etc.

• Tested, tested, test...

• Made Time Machine backup and clone (just in case...)

Everything now back to normal -- particularly the Finder window actions that worked so buggy. Plus, I thinned out thousands of old no-longer-needed files and emails.

Still watching out for possible eventual drive failure; coincidentally have a matching replacement drive in the box on my back shelf.

Aug 28, 2012 5:25 AM in response to Last Chance Rand

I have documented this behaviour in a separate discussion called "

Mail does not respond to mouse clicks properly

the behaviour you describe is identical.

I have actually just had to recreate my machine in a very similar manner to you, using Migration Assistant just like you did but I DID copy my User directories...

So the bug seems to persist if the User directories are maintained using a complete User Directory migration, but not if you do what you did... interesting...

In my case all the behaviours you describe ONLY happen to Mail windows, not other apps.

Aug 28, 2012 6:25 AM in response to jaffle

I think you are on to something Last Chance Rand!

Seems to be something to do with corrupted preference files.

After reading your post, I went to my preferences folder and found LOTS of rubbish in there related to the dark history of my machine (Snow Leopard upgraded to Lion upgraded to Mountain Lion).

I deleted all the rubbish, and mail related preferences and it seems to have fixed the problem - fingers crossed!

Cannot Switch Applications by Clicking Panes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.