Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes artwork screensaver not working

Since upgrading to mountain lion, the iTunes artwork screensaver does not work. I get a black screen with the words "your iTunes library doesn't contain any artwork" or something similar. What am I doing wrong?

Tom

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion, 2.66ghz, 8 gb ram

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 4:38 PM

21 replies

Oct 4, 2012 4:53 PM in response to Tomdbl

Here's how I solved the problem:

1. Go into finder (or windows explorer).

2. Find the Album Artwork file within your itunes file (usually "computer name/music/itunes/album artwork") I noticed that I had 3 files, "cache," "cloud," and "download." The Cloud file was empty. But the cache file and download file had the exact same information.

3. Open the cache file. That should reveal a file that is identical to the file that is revealed if you open the Download file. On my system that file was "5C376133A78DCCBE" (may be different on your system, I don't know)

4. Right click your mouse over the 5C376133A78DCCBE file and select copy.

5. Go back to the Album Artwork file and open the Download file.

6. Right click your mouse over the 5C376133A78DCCBE and select paste. Let it overwrite/replace the 5C376133A78DCCBE file with the same 5C376133A78DCCBE file.

7. Go back to Album Artwork, right click the Cache file, and select "move to trash"

8. Quit iTunes (if you had it open).

9. Hold down the option key and reopen itunes.

10. Select "choose library"

11. Go "computer name/music/iTunes" and select the "iTunes Library.iti" file.

12. If you see iTunes importing the album artwork, you've done it right.

13. Test the iTunes Album Artwork screensaver and hopefully it works for you like it did for me!

MacBook Pro running OSX 10.6.8

Oct 6, 2012 10:54 AM in response to Wes_Man_Tooth

This didn't work for me, but I'm running iOS 10.8.2 and the file structure for iTunes is different than you describe. I'm now pretty convinced that the problem is due to the redesign of how iTunes and iOS interwork. I expect it will start working again when the new iTunes is released.

It boggles my mind that Apple doesn't jump in to this forum every now and then to provide a little bit of insight in the threads.

Oct 8, 2012 2:37 PM in response to Tomdbl

I'm running 10.8.2 also and it has worked for a few weeks since I upgraded. I think the issue is in iTunes.

A few days ago I enabled "keep iTunes media folder organized" in Advanced Prefs and the app went through all my songs. Maybe it's coincidence but I haven't changed anything else.

I agree with you about the lack of Apple support staff checking into these forums and give us a heads up on this.

iTunes artwork screensaver not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.