Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best Buy store vs. Apple Store???

Does it matter where I purchase a new 27" iMac? I don't know a lot about computers. . .I assume they are identical?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7)

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 7:27 PM

I would use the Apple Store. They offer good advice and support. Beat Buy is a zero on both counts.

12 replies

Aug 8, 2012 7:33 PM in response to cauchy

Hi.

It matters if you care about customer service at the point of sale. The folks at the Apple Store will certainly be more able to answer any questions you might have prior to your purchase. And they are more likely to take the time to assist you than the clerks at BB, or any other retailer for that matter.

It won't matter to Apple should you ever need their support in response to a problem. They will stand behind their product whether you bought it at the Apple Store or an online distributor.

If I were you and had the choice, I would go to the Apple Store.

Aug 8, 2012 8:16 PM in response to cauchy

Another issue: ther are several reports here of somone buying a Mac at Best Buy and when the owner has a problem later, the Apple records show the date of sale--and thus the start of warranty coverage--as when BB got the computer, not the date the owner bought it from BB. That may be why they push tech Geek Squad service package so hard.

Go with Apple and save yourself potential grief.

Aug 8, 2012 10:17 PM in response to cauchy

To Allan - it's not a problem as long as you have the receipt and can prove that you bought it on a certain date. Another advantage is that you can only get the One-To-One classes if you buy the computer from an Apple store. Also, a student at some university in Oregon told me this. She bought her laptop at the campus store before coming home on Christmas break. It was giving her trouble so she took it to the local Apple store. If the computer is defective within the first two weeks, they would have replaced it immediately. But because she bought it from the campus store, they actually had to repair it instead of replacing it.

Best Buy store vs. Apple Store???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.