Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerPC G4 became very slow, please help!!!

I have an old PowerPC G4, OSX 10.4.11, Dual 1.25Ghz with 1GB DDR SDRAM.

I haven't used this computer for a while, but it has always worked normally. A couple of days ago I started copying all my personal documents, folders, pictures, videos and music inside one folder so I could transfer to a hard drive, then to my new computer.

After I finished transfering everything I wanted inside that one folder, the computer became VERY, I mean VERY slow, like if you click OK or CLOSE, the rainbow wheel starts turning for like two minutes. Anything I do brings back that wheel. It is almost impossible now to plug in my external hard drive and transfer the data. I really need that one folder but don't know what to do now. Any ideas?

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.1), POWERPC G4

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 10:05 PM

1 reply

Aug 8, 2012 10:49 PM in response to charispistis

Just wanted to add that when I try to boot on safe mode (hold the shift key after I hear the tone), the computer stays at the apple logo and I never see the turning wheel. If I boot normally, it takes a long time, but it boots.

Also, I tried to boot from the CD by holding the "c" key with the os x installation disk but all it does is ejects the CD and it boots normally.

PowerPC G4 became very slow, please help!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.