1 2 Previous Next 28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2013 1:51 AM by rerecluster
Marc Zinnecker Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Since upgrading to Mountain lion my iMac (24" early 2009) looses the connection to 3 mounted (via afp) volumes on my NAS (Synology DS-211j) when going to sleep. There's no error message whatsoever. It seems that Mountain Lion just looses the mounted volumes quietly. NAS and iMac are connected via my Time Capsule as ethernet-hub and ethernet-cable.

Anyone experiencing similar problems or even found a workaround?

• 1. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    Jason Harder Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

Same here: My iMac12,2 (27", mid 2011) cuts the connection to all mounted network volumes as well as to connected USB drives as soon as its going to sleep. It's a real pain in the ***.

• 2. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep

I actually get the impression that the entire network connection is lost on sleep:

After coming up from sleep the browser states to have no internet connection.

This is very annoying.

On my MBP I don't see this behaviour. iMac only.

• 3. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    Tom in London Level 4 Level 4 (1,585 points)

Marc Zinnecker wrote:

Since upgrading to Mountain lion my iMac (24" early 2009) looses the connection...... It seems that Mountain Lion just looses the mounted volumes quietly.

You mean "loses".

• 4. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    dg1sek Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I experience the same problem on my iMac: It looses the Ethernet connection. WiFi interface still works. Deactivating and reactivating Ethernet does not solve the problem, but a reboot of the machine does solve it until it goes to sleep for the next time.

• 5. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    username_pending Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My problem is about the same. After waking the computer, all connections to my NAS are lost. The icons for the connected shares on the desktop are gone, a shared folder icon in the dock is replaced by a grey question mark, the connections are not reestablished.

The finder presents the NAS as an available volume in a finder window, yet does not reconnect when clicking on it. Only the Go To > Connect with Server option works.Oddly, iTunes and iPhoto connect to their libraries on the NAS when launched. (Still no desktop icons for the NAS shares though)

The problem occurs only after a long period of sleep, 1 hour +. No difference if the NAS has it's drives spun down or not.

Hey Apple, this is annoying! Especially with the fact that Lion had no problems with it!!!

iMac, Mid 2011, 10.8.1

Synology DS211, latest firmware

Ethernet through cable, no WIFi used.

• 6. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep

I'll try to be more precise about my affected setup:

Modellname: iMac

Modell-Identifizierung: iMac12,2

Prozessortyp: Intel Core i5

Prozessorgeschwindigkeit: 3,1 GHz

– it's a German OS X 10.8.1 (12B19)

The server is a Windows 2003 SBS – a PITA by itself but currently working flawlessly. The Windows server is accessed via SMB. We also use two other servers; a Thecus (SMB) and a Promise NAS (AFP).

All connections are lost on sleep; the Ethernet ones as well as connected volumes (USB).

This problem was not existent when the same iMac was running 10.6 and 10.7 and was introduced with 10.8 and still stands with 10.8.1.

• 7. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    sofalounge Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I got the same problem on our iMacs, but theres 10.8.1 Server on the Mac Mini Server running.

Do you have any solutions for this problem?

• 8. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    sofalounge Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Does anyone has a solution for this problem? I still got the problem with 10.8.2 on both machines.

• 9. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep

No solution. The problem is not solved with X.8.2 for me, too.

• 10. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    dpickup Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How are you connecting to the share on the NAS ?

as a "Guest" account, as a named user or as the "admin" account on the NAS ?

I had similar problems and realised that on waking the mac was trying to connect as the admin account from the mac, which doesnt exist (ie no user on the NAS with same credntials)

you can either "connect as" on the mac and enter relevant credntials or change the guest account privelages on the NAS for read/write, see if either of these work.

10.8 was a signifcant upgarde and they dropped quite a lot of "old" code such as pre-intel generation and think network was one of the areas affected. Make sure you are on latest OS on the NAS (I have a Synology and DSM3.x was causing me problems but 4.x is fine). I'm sure i saw other posts talking more in detail about what is / isnt compatible on 10.8...........

EDIT :

I found this :

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/59467/cannot-connect-to-apple-file-serv ers-after-upgrading-to-10-8

but no mention if it works as OP did not come back

if you google "AFP on 10.8" seems there are several related but not exact issues out there, if the above don't, see if any other posts are relevant

EDIT again :

this post possibly has a couple of helpful suggestions, try this first

http://forum.firecore.com/topic/8652

good luck

• 11. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep

Hi dpickup,

it doesn't matter if the connection is made via SMB oder AFP since ANY connected volume gets ejected when the system wakes up. This also includes locally mounted USB drives.

As far as my network connection is concerned: it's a named account and the credentials are placed in the keychain.

The other post you mentioned may have the "AppleTalk" problem that was introduced with switching AppleTalk off in 10.7.

Jason

• 12. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    Mooootie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Has this issue been solved for anyone?

I still have the issue on my iMac.

The last ML patch didn't improve the situation.

Reenabling the legacy AFP protocols didn't work ("MS2.0", "2-Way Randnum exchange", and "DHCAST128").

Upgrading the OS of my NAS (Synology DS 211) didn't work.

I'm not sure what to try next really.

Sometimes I briefly get the error message 'network connection lost' after a long sleep upon which it takes quite some time to get the connection up and running again but the most annoying part is all open applications seem to lose the connection too (so in Lightroom I need to find missing pictures all the time these days)

Tom

• 13. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    username_pending Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

10.8.2 and still not resolved.

I need to partially rewrite my description of the connection errors. iTunes and iPhoto do not connect to their libraries when launched with all shares disconnected after sleep. But they still can find their libraries on the shared volumes when launched prior to sleep.

I have the feeling our problem is not related to any issues with a NAS firmware, afp protocol or anything that's related to problems between devices communicating with each other. It's a problem deep in the core of 10.8, especially the sleep routines or the control of logic board components. Why?

1.) I had a few problems with a running Safari after sleep. It always took up to 30 seconds to get an updated website. Always together with a "There is no connection to the internet" info text in the browser window.

2.) Since 10.8.1, i had a few instances where the Ethernet connection completely refused to work after sleep. No connection to anything in my private network. Only a restart of my computer got the LAN back to work.

3.) It happend twice so far, that the Finder froze when trying to reconnect manually to a shared folder. Again, only a restart helped.

Please allow me to say that 10.8 is among the worst Mac OS versions ever. I have worked with Macs since System 7. Even my System 6 Classic Macintosh has a rock solid network connection compared to 10.8.

• 14. Re: Network issue: Mountain Lion looses connection to NAS-Volumes after sleep
    Mooootie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for your update. I have experienced 1 and 3 as well.

Especially 3. is very annoying as I need to force quit on finder which only allows a relaunch which in turn doesn't work and indeed only a full reboot will bring finder back to life.

Annyone formally contacted apple support regarding this?

Regards

1 2 Previous Next