Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Flashing "No Entry" Symbol Followed By Folder With "?" inside -Help

So yesterday night I was on my iMac. I downloaded a driver for my mouse from a company called Razer (Dont know if this had something to do with it) It said it needed to restart to finalise the install. I restarted my iMac and the first thing I see is a Flashing "No Entry" Sign followed by a folder with a "?" inside. At first I thought ok its probabky just a bug. So I shut down my computer and restarted it. Same error. I've searched around for awnsers but I cant find a topic with a "No Entry" Sign in the startup aswell. I do not have the startup disks or anything that came from the start. Just the keyboard, Mouse and the iMac itself. Running OS X Snow Leopard.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 3:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 4:36 AM

So no bootable backup and no OS X Snow Leopard DVD?

Try a safe boot, by holding the shift key down as you boot, which will take longer than normal. If that works and completes, try a normal boot. If that fails, without a bootable backup or OS X retail DVD, you're basically out of options. In the US, call the Apple online store at 1-800-MY-APPLE (if not in US all your country Apple online store, not a retail store) and order Snow Leopard from the legacy products list. Or you can call Apple support and purchase the original OS X disks for your system, if they still have them available. Those also have the Apple hardware test on them, which is helpful to diagnose hardare issues, and isn't available elsewhere.

If you keep anything of value on your hard drive, you might consider creating an external backup. Time Machine, which comes with OS X, is a good application to keep things backed up.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2012 4:36 AM in response to Harry_God

So no bootable backup and no OS X Snow Leopard DVD?

Try a safe boot, by holding the shift key down as you boot, which will take longer than normal. If that works and completes, try a normal boot. If that fails, without a bootable backup or OS X retail DVD, you're basically out of options. In the US, call the Apple online store at 1-800-MY-APPLE (if not in US all your country Apple online store, not a retail store) and order Snow Leopard from the legacy products list. Or you can call Apple support and purchase the original OS X disks for your system, if they still have them available. Those also have the Apple hardware test on them, which is helpful to diagnose hardare issues, and isn't available elsewhere.

If you keep anything of value on your hard drive, you might consider creating an external backup. Time Machine, which comes with OS X, is a good application to keep things backed up.

Aug 9, 2012 4:48 AM in response to BGreg

Ive Held down the shift key and nothing happens, just the same en entry symbol/folder with question mark. I think I would be able to purchase some snow leopard disks. So should I just go to amazon and buy some Mac OS X Snow Leopard Disks? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mac-OS-Snow-Leopard/dp/B001AMHWP8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid =1344505503&sr=8-1 Or would I Have to contact my Apple Store? (UK) Also. What seems to be the problem? Im a mac software newbie. Ive heard things of something of a HDD?

Thanks for your help. Gave me some direction in what to do next

iMac Flashing "No Entry" Symbol Followed By Folder With "?" inside -Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.