Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SystemUIServer problem?

Ever since mountain Lion I have been observing problems with the SystemUIServer! when i wake my macbook pro from sleep sometimes the SystemUIServer will start to consume alot of real memory as well as 90-100% cpu usage! is anyone having problems with this? i have installed a clean copy of mountain lion and the problem still presists!

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 6:16 AM

69 replies

Aug 9, 2012 9:20 AM in response to acesta

Hmmm... Let's try something quick and easy.

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key to choose "Library". Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist and delete that. Then log out and back in or restart.

I realize it may be a while before you know if that worked.

If not, I'd look to your Login Items, in System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Items for one that may not be compatible.

Aug 9, 2012 10:37 AM in response to acesta

I have had the same problem. Also with the screen going blank for about 15 seconds, then returning. I have just deleted the plist file as suggested by macjack and rebooted. Will report if this has indeed solved my problem.

BTW, my installation was an UPGRADE from Lion. I have gone back to Lion on 2007 IMAC because of the screen going blank (black) and not responding. This problem now only seems to occur on my MBP Mid 2010. It works fine on my IMAC 2011...

Aug 11, 2012 6:55 AM in response to macjack

macjack wrote:

Go to your Finder "Go" menu hold the option key to choose "Library". Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist and delete that. Then log out and back in or restart.

This doesn't fix the real problem, it is just the same advice seen elsewhere for this issue. Deleting the plist fixed the issue for about 1 week but it also deletes every one of your menu bar preferences. Just this morning the issue has come right back.

I checked the plist using plutil on the command line and the plutil command says that plist is OK.

$ plutil com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

com.apple.systemuiserver.plist: OK

I see that SystemUIServer is spiking the CPU % to 90% after the problem starts to occur. Every once in a while the spinning wheel shows up when hovering over Apple items in the menubar (wifi, time machine, bluetooth, etc...).

Aug 12, 2012 5:12 AM in response to realmtl

Exactly the same issue with me, SystemUIServer going to 100% and blank screen for about 15 seconds after you come back after leaving the laptop for a while. Upgraded from Lion too. Early 2011 17 inch MBP. I have an earlier laptop that shows no problems.

Tried removing all 3rd party apps that put icons in the menu bar, seems to work for a while, then comes back again.

I hope this isn't going to be like the iPhone 3GS crash during calls that I suffered as well...

Aug 12, 2012 9:20 PM in response to acesta

I've actually have experienced the same issue as well in regards to "SystemUIServer" I'm on a Mid 2012 MacBook Air 11" with 4GB of ram and an i5 1.7GHz CPU. I've noticed that if I do anything for a long time, about 4 hours or continous use, my free ram will drop down to 25MB while my Inactive sits around 1.5GB and Active sits at 1.2GB and wired is somewhere around 1GB. When I go into Activity Monitor all I see is "SystemUIServer" using at least 2.5GB of ram even AFTER I've closed all my apps. The process also has a tendancy to use 50% of my CPU for no reason.

A very temporary solution that I've found is that when you force close "SystemUIServer" things tend to go back to normal, however, having to go through this process everytime is not normal. I've also tried the "purge" method from Terminal but it doesn't seem to work for me.

Does anybody have a solid resolution to this issue?

Regards

Tim

Aug 14, 2012 11:47 AM in response to monsieur sausice

OK, fingers crossed I have fixed it.

I unchecked all the options to display in the menu bar (time machine, bluetooth, wifi etc.) and have nothing there now. My guess is that it was Time Machine, but can't be 100% sure. It would make sense because everytime I killed the SyetemUIServer process, the problem would start again and it appeared to coincide with backups starting (and hence changes to the icons with animation as well).

Bluetooth was off and my Wifi was constant, so I don't think it was those menu items.

Anyway, hopefully that helps anyone else trying to track down the issue.

SystemUIServer problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.