Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacbookPro will not wake up from sleep after memory upgrade

I am restarting this topic as I have read thread after thread (many years old) and they all just die off with out any definite solution.

I have a 13" Mid 2010 Mac book Pro which originally came with 250gb HDD and 4gb memory

I have recently upgraded to a 256 SSD and a 1TB HDD optidrive replacement along with a 8GB memory upgrade and I am now running Lion 10.7.4

If I close the lid and open within approximately 1 minute it will wake up quickly as normal, if I leave it asleep for a minute or 2 it will not wake up with out holding the power button for several seconds and then I still need to wait a several seconds for it to respond and actually wake up. Sometimes I will need to completely shut down and restart. If I wanted a computer that takes forever to wake up I would have a PC!

The last thing I upgraded was the memory so I am sure it is the cause of the sleep problem and not the SSD conversion which was working fine with the original 4GB mem before upgrade.

I have read about resting the PRAM, resetting PMC as well as executing a line in the terminal, but all of these seem to have variable success. I have tried every thing but using the terminal to adjust the hibernate mode setting as I am not proficient with terminal and don't actually understand what changing this setting does (sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 7).

Has anyone resolved this sleep problem and what did you do? I would greatly appreciate some knowledgeable insight on the hibernation settings, and what running the line in the terminal is actually doing... even better what is the default so I can change it back if it doesn't resolve the problem.

A simple memory upgrade causing such a issues is very irritating.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 7:12 AM

Reboot into the Apple Hardware Test and run an extended test to see if that pinpoints any memory issues.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Just to cover all bases, the RAM you installed was Mac-specific or just generic? Macs in general, and more so with the newer models, have always been extremely finicky to their RAM. Even the slightest deviation off their timing specs can have nasty surprises like this.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 9, 2012 7:12 AM in response to JBnDFW

Reboot into the Apple Hardware Test and run an extended test to see if that pinpoints any memory issues.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

Just to cover all bases, the RAM you installed was Mac-specific or just generic? Macs in general, and more so with the newer models, have always been extremely finicky to their RAM. Even the slightest deviation off their timing specs can have nasty surprises like this.

Aug 9, 2012 7:52 AM in response to Courcoul

Trying to reboot to the Hardware test I just get a gray screen, let me see if I can get it working and get back to you. I did run a memory test using Rember which turned out OK.

It is Samsung RAM, I live in China and getting the right thing the first time is often not a easy task. I have gone already through several sets of memory, the first ones which I was given to try were completely wrong and the mac wouldnt even boot. Finally I got the correct 1087 which is the Samsung I am using now, but I am not certain its mac specific.

Aug 9, 2012 3:59 PM in response to JBnDFW

But still, the sleep issue persists, so it is a more subtle timing issue. I upgraded my MBP with a Corsair 8GB kit ( http://www.corsair.com/us/corsair-mac-memory-8gb-ddr3-sodimm-memory-kit-cmsa8gx3 m2a1333c9.html ) and it indicated it had 9-9-9-24 CAS timing. It has worked flawlessly till now. Note that my Mac is a Late 2011, whose memory runs at 1333 MHz.

As far as I can tell, the 13" Mid 2010 models used 1067 MHz memory with 7-7-7-20 CAS timing: http://www.corsair.com/us/corsair-mac-memory-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-sodimm-memory -kit-cmsa8gx3m2a106c7.html

MacbookPro will not wake up from sleep after memory upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.