Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blue Beach Ball / Pinwheel When Using "Open With"

I've noticed since upgrading to Mountain Lion that I get a dual-shade blue/light blur spinning pinwheel / beach ball. This is different to the "normal" rainbow wheel that I'm used to. I read on a disreputable thread that this may have to do with the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive but haven't been able to confirm that in any other way. Any ideas on what's causing this? My thought is that it may have something to do with the Adobe Creative Suite I have installed or Java, but I have not been able to confirm that either.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 8:56 AM

Try starting up in Safe Mode (It will take more time to startup because it runs a directory check.) Test your "Open With" function. Does it work correctly in Safe Mode?

8 replies

Sep 11, 2012 8:19 AM in response to dandeadman

It may be LaunchServices. These are only cache files but can get corrupted. Launch /Utilities/Terminal and copy & paste this at the command line to rebuild LaunchServices: (be sure to copy the entire line it's a scroll)

Code:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user

Then press return. Wait until terminal returns to the command line. Quit Terminal. After that, log out and back in or restart. Let us know

Or, use the free utiltiy OnyX to do the same via gui

Blue Beach Ball / Pinwheel When Using "Open With"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.