I can't bring up my AIM buddy list in Messages. Here are the symptoms (some of which may be purely coincidental) and trouble-shooting configuration variations I have gone through:
1. This is in Messages as part of Moutain Lion 10.8.
2. There is a tilde next to my AIM ID in the buddy list window. Clicking on it, reveals a message that says, "Messages lost the connection to AIM."
3. The Connection Doctor reports, "Router type: Port Restricted," with a yellow dot to its left.
4. I am using DD-WRT on my Linksys E4200, which is in beta. It has UPNP enabled.
5. Whether or not I enable the SPI firewall in my router, makes no difference.
6. I have tried switching SSL connections to the AIM server off and back on.
7. I have used these AIM servers: login.oscar.aol.com, slogin.oscar.aol.com, and api.oscar.aol.com, all with SSL on (Port 443) and off (Port 5190).
8. I have tried api.oscar.aol.com with Port 80.
At work, where I have no control over the firewall, I can log into AIM. Also, I could try to replace the Linksys with an AirPort Extreme, but it's too much work to do that right now, as a lot of stuff depends on the router being set up correctly, including our Vonage phone service.
(20 min elapsing)
iChat on my wife's 2008 MacBook running Lion (10.7.4) works. I can connect to the AIM network just fine. Server is api.oscar.aol.com, on Port 443 with SSL. This kind of rules out the router being an issue.
(8 h elapsing)
I am now at work, and I can't start AIM service, either. Yesterday, it was running, which I know, because I was contacted on AIM by someone. I have now idea what is different between yesterday and today is. Even when I went on the much less restrictive wireless guest network, there was no improvement. I'm leaning toward considering it a bug.