Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod 5th Gen (A1136) unmounts itself on Macbook and iMac when not syncing.

I have a iPod 5th gen (A1136), and when I connect it to my iMac or Macbook it will quickly mount, but it will only remain mounted if I begin to sync it in iTunes or else it will unmount itself immediately. iTunes will still recognize it and I still have the option to sync it (and it charges), but it will not mount to my desktop thus preventing me from using the iPod via Disk Utility. The reason I want to use via Disk Utility is because I want to load Mac OS X onto the iPod and use it as a boot loader in order to install Mac OS X on another machine. It's the only option I have since I do not own a flash drive, or external drive. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I am using iTunes 10.6.3 (on both machines) and my Macbook is running OS X 10.7.4 and my iMac is running OS X 10.8

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 10:20 AM

5 replies

Aug 9, 2012 11:14 AM in response to Jdub562

That is "by design" so that the user can disconnect the iPod without ejecting it first. To keep the iPod mounted whenever it is connected, you need to check the checkbox on the iPod's Summary tab, for Enable Disk Use. But when you do this, be sure to remember to eject the iPod (using the small button next to the iPod's name in the iTunes sidebar), before physically disconnecting it.

Aug 9, 2012 10:56 PM in response to Jdub562

FYI for this

I want to load Mac OS X onto the iPod and use it as a boot loader in order to install Mac OS X on another machine. It's the only option I have since I do not own a flash drive, or external drive.

If you want to do this with installing Lion or Mountain Lion, there's a far easier way, if the "target" Mac already has at least Snow Leopard (or Lion) currently installed. Just run the Mac App Store on it, and log in with the same Apple ID used to purchase the Lion or Mountain Lion upgrade. You should be able to (re)download the Mac OS X installer on that Mac, like you can with any previously purchased app (on the Purchases tab) Then, just run the Installer on that Mac.

iPod 5th Gen (A1136) unmounts itself on Macbook and iMac when not syncing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.