1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2014 6:49 AM by JEM24 Branched to a new discussion.
Armand123456 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

How much would a 3rd generation ipod touch 8gb be worth today?


iPod touch
  • 1. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    There really is no such thing as a 3rd generation iPod Touch in 8GB capacity.

     

    See http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353 for help in identifying your iPod. If by any chance, it has A1288 etched into the back of th iPod's casing, then it's a 2nd generation Touch.

     

    So a 3rd gen Touch 8Gb is worth nothing, because it doesn't exist.

  • 2. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    don_dudley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    You are wrong, sir or ma'am. 

     

    There is an 8gb iPod touch. It does have a different video speck than the 16 and larger iPod touches. I know because I worked for an authorized Apple dealer during this time and had to be certified on the product line.  please note the a1288 was branded as a 3rd gen.  As for its worth, I sold mine on eBay for about $100 a year ago.

  • 3. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    varjak paw Level 10 Level 10 (169,765 points)

    Sorry, but it is you who are wrong and the Fiend who is indeed correct. Apple never made an 8GB iPod touch with 3rd-generation hardware. The A1288 model is a 2nd-generation unit which is why it has a different set of hardware from the true 3rd-generation models. Some dealers, including apparently the one you worked for, erroneously called the 2nd-gen model "3rd generation" when it started shipping with iOS 3, but that was never a terminology used nor approved by Apple.

     

    Regards.

  • 4. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    *Sigh!*

    don_dudley wrote:

     

    You are wrong, sir or ma'am. 

     

    There is an 8gb iPod touch. It does have a different video speck than the 16 and larger iPod touches. I know because I worked for an authorized Apple dealer during this time and had to be certified on the product line. 

     

    Not in 3rd generation, there isn't! This topic has been aired over and over again. Apple have never marketed a 3rd generation Touch with 8GB capacity. Never!

     

    Non-Apple retailers may have done so, but Apple have not.

     

    Look at this iPod identification chart from the following article, http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1353:

    skitch013.png

     

     

    don_dudley wrote:

     

    please note the a1288 was branded as a 3rd gen.

    Not by Apple!

     

    From the same article mentioned above:

    skitch014.png

    A1288 is 2nd generation. It's there - in black and white. Or you can check out the full article for yourself.

    don_dudley wrote:

     

    As for its worth, I sold mine on eBay for about $100 a year ago.

    But it was not a 3rd generation model. If you sold a Model No. A1288 as 3rd generation, you better hope the buyer doesn't come back to you for mis-representation.

  • 5. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    peter_t_a_kelly Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    dude it obviously exists because i have a 3rd gen. itouch 8GB

  • 6. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    stevejobsfan0123 Level 7 Level 7 (32,410 points)

    Prove it.

  • 7. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    JEM24 Level 4 Level 4 (1,610 points)

    Hey Armand, After you workout which iPod you have... Getting back to your question of what is it worth-- not much. Look on e-bay or Amazon and see what people are getting. Since it is limited to a hand full of apps and mostly a music playback device the demand for an older iPod is low, thus your not going to get much for it. Hope this helps. Cheers.

  • 8. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    lllaass Level 10 Level 10 (142,190 points)

    Just what makes you conclude that you have an 8 GB 3G iPod?

    peter_t_a_kelly wrote:

     

    dude it obviously exists because i have a 3rd gen. itouch 8GB

  • 9. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    peter_t_a_kelly wrote:

     

    dude it obviously exists because i have a 3rd gen. itouch 8GB

    You do not!

     

    I'm with stevejobsfan, prove it.

     

    This subject really has been done to death and it's difficult to believe that you are bringing it up again. You can fool yourself as much as you like, that's your choice. But quite why you think that it is reasonable to confuse others with this incorrect information, is beyond me.

     

    Are you simply trolling?

  • 10. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    don_dudley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    You all need to relax. Here is the story:

    Originally, around Christmas of 09, the 8gbs were markets as third gen iPod touches. The only difference was, supposedly, the open go graphics. Many of us, including me, bought these "third gen" touches under somewhat of a false pretense. Like others have said, we waited for the new iPods to come out, bought the cheapest, and later got a little screwed over.

     

    No reason to get indignant about it. Some of us should probably look into proving we were duped though and make our voices heard...

  • 11. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    don_dudley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Do a search for the black Friday ad for best but 2009. I just did and saw my iPod touch, third gen 8gb advertised.

  • 12. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    don_dudley Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

    Finally, here is what CNET has to say:http://www.cnet.com/products/apple-ipod-touch-third-generation-8gb/

     

    There update text tells you a little more about the iPod screw over

  • 13. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    lllaass Level 10 Level 10 (142,190 points)

    All that link says is the  C/NET miscatagorized the 8 GB "3G" iPod. Teir not says:

    Because the 8GB third-generation Touch (shown here) is technically identical to the second-generation model, we've assigned it a slightly lower rating than the more capable 32GB and 64GB versions.

     

    Thus C/NEt made the mistake, there is not 8 GB 3G iPod

  • 14. Re: 3rd generation 8gb ipod touch
    the fiend Level 5 Level 5 (7,375 points)

    don_dudley wrote:

     

    Here is the story:

    Originally, around Christmas of 09, the 8gbs were markets as third gen iPod touches.

    Not by Apple.

     

    don_dudley wrote:

     

    Many of us, including me, bought these "third gen" touches under somewhat of a false pretense.

    Not from Apple.

     

    don_dudley wrote:

     

     

    No reason to get indignant about it. Some of us should probably look into proving we were duped though and make our voices heard...

    It's not indignation, it is actually being very annoyed that some poeple will not accept the facts, but instead ignore what doesn't suit their arguement - no matter what evidence is put to them. This forum has been subject to this very pointless arguement for years.

     

    Do you not understand what that means? (Rhetorical question, I'm sure you don't.)

     

     

    don_dudley wrote:

     

    Some of us should probably look into proving we were duped though and make our voices heard...

    Actually, many of you have been asked - many times - only to prove your case. As stevejobsfan has stated in this thread, prove it. We can already hear you.

1 2 Previous Next