Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto, imovie, iweb missing after mountain lion upgrade...

I have a mid 2010 iMac that I have kept up to date and recently upgraded to Mountian Lion. Everything has been fine except that I noticed that iLife was missing right after the update... And I didn't purchase it in the app store because it came with my iMac. In fact, the iMac came with Snow Leopard on it I think. But I haven't the slightest idea where that disk is because we lost a few things that I haven't located yet in our move last year. I have another copy of Snow Leopard that I goes to my 2009 MacBook that I already had. It seems quite frustrating that the programs just disappeared and they've never done that before on any other upgrade! I have no need to purchase and upgrade to iLife 11 as I only use iPhoto and iMovie for iPhone photos/video because I have everything else in LightRoom already. But I would like iPhoto/iMovie back! How do I go about doing this? Can i use my backup to get it back somehow? Just confused on how to tget it back and my searches yielded very little... Thanks!

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 2:13 PM

17 replies

Aug 9, 2012 2:19 PM in response to Audrea

Do these show up in your App Store --> Purchases tab? If so, you may just have to upgrade them.

There's very little chance that older versions of iLife software are compatible with Mountain Lion. One way or the other, try to get the latest versions (e.g., iPhoto 9.3.2). If you have an old CD with your iLife software, see if you can upgrade its software to the latest versions.

Aug 9, 2012 2:47 PM in response to sberman

Again, I don't have iphoto or imovie or iweb listed in the app store because it came on my imac. It came with the OSX like most people received it. So, iLife 09 became obsolete when everyone upgraded to Mountain Lion? iPhoto 09 is only a few years old and i don't see where Apple announced that iLife 09 wouldn't work with ML.. In fact, I see online where many people haven't upgraded to iLife 11 because they didn't like some of the features that were removed or were made a bit different in 11. I also see where people had no issues with upgrading mountian lion and still use their 09 versions of iphoto, iweb, imovie. So can you point me to where ilife 09 became obsolete with ML?

Aug 9, 2012 2:58 PM in response to Audrea

Audrea wrote:

Again, I don't have iphoto or imovie or iweb listed in the app store because it came on my imac. It came with the OSX like most people received it. So, iLife 09 became obsolete when everyone upgraded to Mountain Lion? iPhoto 09 is only a few years old and i don't see where Apple announced that iLife 09 wouldn't work with ML.. In fact, I see online where many people haven't upgraded to iLife 11 because they didn't like some of the features that were removed or were made a bit different in 11. I also see where people had no issues with upgrading mountian lion and still use their 09 versions of iphoto, iweb, imovie. So can you point me to where ilife 09 became obsolete with ML?

iPhoto 9 is not iLife '09. It is iLife '11

iLife is no longer part of the OSX.

Cheers

Pete

Aug 9, 2012 3:37 PM in response to Audrea

sorry... i meant '09 version... I just knew it wasn't '11 (assumed '09) because I haven't upgraded to the '11 versions. I said iLife because I lost all 3-iphoto, iweb and imovie. Well, I see that iweb isn't a part of '11 and is going away and i am just now seeing that. And noticing that I lost GarageBand in addition (i just don't use it to notice it was also missing after the upgrade).

And again, they all came installed on my computer, not from me purchasing it via app store. Technically I guess it wasn't a part of the OS, I just meant that it came with the imac and was part of my imac purchase. I only remember having an install disk (not a seperate ilife disk) that came with my imac but i am unable to find any of it because of a move (and haven't located the disks that came with the 2010 iMac). Again, I have the snow leopard os upgrade disk that I purchased (prior to buying my imac in 2010) that I bought to upgrade my 2009 MacBook Pro. But again, it isn't the SL install disk that came with the 2010 iMac (which is the computer we are discussing here) However, my 2009 MacBookPro was upgraded to ML right after I upgraded the iMac on the same exact dayand I DID NOT lose iphoto, iweb, imovie and garageband on that MacBook Pro. And it was the 09' also because I had not upgraded either computer to '11 version. So, the programs went missing on the imac upgrade only, and not the macbook-so there has to be a reason why... I did not mean that iLife came with an OS Upgrade -only that it came with all purchased apple computers. sorry!

Sberman-I will try to load the iphoto link that you gave above and see if it restores the iphoto and my catalog, etc. Someone I know suggested that it's all still there - but i am just missing the iphoto programs (and other programs) for some reason and all should be restored once it's reloaded.

Aug 9, 2012 5:48 PM in response to imagenius

imagenius wrote:

Hi,

I'm having the same problem as Audrea, and I was wondering if you could point me to the most recent downloads of iMovie, iWeb, Garageband, and iDVD.

Thanks,

Ben

iDVD and iWeb no longer exist unless you have or can find them on an old iLife '09 or '11 DVD. iMovie, iPhoto and Garageband can be purchased from the App Store. If you already own copies, then you can update through Software Update in System Preferences.

Good Luck

Pete

Sep 27, 2012 7:19 AM in response to sberman

No, I never skipped a version of anything. I had Lion too. I'm quite nerdy and upgrade the morning it comes out... I just cannot have an outdated version of anything. I'm not crazy... iPhoto WAS on my iMac but disappeared when I upgraded. It did not disappear from my MacBook Pro after upgrade, but did on my iMac. Glad to hear others have the same issue... Which I had read on other sites of many people having issues. My Macs are both freezing constantly since the upgrade as well. I'm about ready to do a clean install as it's driving me crazy!

iphoto, imovie, iweb missing after mountain lion upgrade...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.