Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't activate find my iPhone on a 2nd generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2.1

Hi everyone,

I've been using Find my iPhone since 2011 and I never had any trouble. I activated it firstly on my iPad and then in my iPod touch 2nd generation. Since yesterday the app can't find my iPod. It appeared on my list of devices but it had a red ball, as it was off-line (which was not the case). So I decided to remove the iPod from the list and sign in again. But after deleting it from the list I couldn't sign in again. As it isn't able to run iOS 5 I had to set up again by going to Settings>>Mail, contacts, calendar>> add account>>mobile me. After typing my user and password I turned Find my iPod on, allowed it to use the location services in the box that appeared and saved. But when I open the app it only shows my iPad. And in the location services it doesn’t show the Find my iPhone app. I’ve already tried to uninstall and reinstall the app but this was pointless. Please help me to fix it.

Luís Felipe

iPod touch, iOS 4.2

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 5:25 PM

5 replies

Aug 9, 2012 7:42 PM in response to Luís Felipe

Find My iPhone requires iOS 5.0 or later, which you do not have on your iPod. I don't know what you had set up before, but MobileMe was shutdown between now and the time you originally alledgedly set up Find My iPhone on your iPod, so that may be the reason for the discrepancy.

Bottom Line: You must have had a fluke before, but if you want to use Find My iPhone, you need to buy a newer iPod Touch.

I can't activate find my iPhone on a 2nd generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.