Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime won't open and system sound is muted

This is a strange one...

My Macbook Pro's sound is locked on mute and none of my quicktime files will open... kicking back an error -101.

I've scoured all over the net, and I've seen things about headphone jacks showing red light and pluging and unpluging headphones in to make it work... no dice. But along that same line, if I plug in my TwelveSouth Base jump speaker, suddenly I regain volume control and quicktimes will open... and play. Sound will come through the basejump speaker, but not the built in. But as soon as I unplug this USB powered speaker... Qucktime won't open any more new files, and the ones that were open will no longer play. Pluging in the speaker... quicktime playback is restored. But still the built-ins won't work.

This problem cascades to iTunes as well.... won't play any songs. You press play, and nothing happens, the head doesn't move... truly nothing. the application acts as if the play button doesn't work.

I've never heard of a problem like this, it's like the core system is expecting an external component to do basic function in regards to audio.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 6:05 PM

4 replies

Quicktime won't open and system sound is muted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.