Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro with Retina wont detect monitor on mini display port to dual-link dvi adapter

So after reading Jeff Atwood's post, I decided to jump and give it a shot. So this week I got my monitor in from Korea, and I already had my Apple mini display port to dual-link dvi adapter, hooked everything up - and nothing. Monitor doesnt show a signal, and no display shows up in user preferences.

To verify the monitor actually works, i plugged it into my windows box - and boom, right away there it is in all its glory. So I called apple support, after spending about an hour going through the "are you sure its plugged in stuff", the tech finally admitted to being stumped and blamed the adapter. Not to be deterred, I then went to my local apple store and talked them into trying their adapter to rule out the adapter - regardless of the adapter, the mbp wont detect the monitor.

Just for fun, i tried my old single mini displayport to single dvi, the monitor is recognized, but that obviously cant drive the right resolution, so i just get a backlight. Same deal when i try the hdmi port with a hdmi to dual-link dvi adapter on the end of it. Also tried display port to the same hdmi with adapter on it (the joys of working in a dev shop - cables to test everywhere)

I have read / tried a ton of things:

1. re-installed / uninstalled air display, just to be sure it was gone. went through all my apps just to see if there is anything like this i could think would be effecting it
  2. install gfxCardStatus to ensure i am on the nvidia (discrete) and not the internal card
  3. Played with different settings on SwitchResX to try to force the res over hdmi - no love - os rejected each one
  4. I bought the monoprice adapter wondering if it was just the apple adapter since the apple adapter has been panned, no love from it either
  5. Reset the PRAM countless times

I have two other adapters coming in to test with in a day or two - maybe one of those will be magic, but at this point i kinda think its software on the mac.My Spec:

1. I am running Mountain Lion with all the latest updates
  2. New MBP with Retina (2.6g processor, 16gig ram, nvidia video card)
  3. Here is the ebay link to the monitor

Now the other weird thing is pretty much universally these auctions say the monitors cant be run on a laptop - which makes no sense to me, because its just a connection, if the video card is strong enough (which my machine better be) it shouldnt matter the source. The listing mentions its a "by-pass" monitor, which is something I and google have never heard of.

So any sage words to make my day?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 6:12 PM

5 replies

Aug 10, 2012 8:18 AM in response to jgretz

Magic was, I have to have the adpter plugged into the mac, let it recognize all with the monitor powered off.

then power on the monitor, and boom gloriousness

--------------------

For future generations, setup that works:

1) MacBook Pro with Retina

2) Monitor From Korea (example auction)

3) Accell Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Active adapter (amazon)

4) Boot mac, plug in adapter, let it recognize the monitor, power on monitor

Sep 21, 2012 1:49 PM in response to timfromeagan

Step #4 was the last part of the key for me.

I have to make sure the monitor is off, plug the adapter in (the only part that actually matters for this is the mini-display port adapter, the usb is just there for power - i actually had mine plugged into a power strip via an adapter for a while until i got my latest hub) - wait for the screen to go blue and recognize the adapter - then turn on the monitor - and it displays

does the mac not recognize the monitor at all still (i.e. are you getting the blue screen?)

Sep 23, 2012 1:55 PM in response to jgretz

I have the monitor powered off, I plug in the adapter and the screen flashes blue for a second, but I see no indication in System Preferences or anywhere else that the display is recognized. It just flashes blue for a second.

Turning on the display after the screen flashes blue doesn't display anything, still black as it was off. The display works perfectly on my Windows 7 machine.

Macbook Pro with Retina wont detect monitor on mini display port to dual-link dvi adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.