Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems With My MacBook?

Recently I have been having problems with my Mac, but I've decided to come to the forums before I schedule a Genius Bar appointment. There are two main problems:

----------------------------------

System Specifications:

Late 2009 MacBook 13-Inch

2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 (upgraded from 2 GB)

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

OS X 10.8 (12A269)

----------------------------------

1. My Mac randomly 'freezes' after waking up from sleep. I cannot open any applications. They just sit there and bounce, and the light blinks. When I try to make my computer go to sleep from this point, it is unresponsive. Only choosing shut down will fix the problem. This happens about 1/3 times the computer goes to sleep.

2. When I shut down my Mac, from either freezing or normal, it hangs. I can move my mouse around, but the screen is an off-white, characterisitc when you turn a Mac on or off. I have to hold down the power button to turn off my Mac from here. When I turn it back on and try to log in, I of course get a message of improper shutdown asking me if I want to open applications that I had open (none). This happens about every shutdown.

How can these problems be fixed? I would call myself a mid-advanced Mac user, so I know Terminal and disk utility, etc.. I was thinking of repairing permissions, but for all I know that might not do anything. Could the hard drive be corrupted? I literally have no idea. I recently upgraded to Mountain Lion, and so I don't know if it could be software or hardward problem. I was not planning on buying a new Mac until college (two years), so I hope this isn't a fatal problem. Please provide suggestions to fix my Mac, Thank You!

Not to mention, but my MacBook is out of warranty, so if this is a hardware problem Apple won't cover it. I upgraded the RAM after the warranty expired, so whether I upgraded it or not makes no significance. The problems point toward a corrupted HD, so I don't telll me I shouldn't have messed with it internally 🙂.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 5:38 PM

3 replies

Aug 9, 2012 7:35 PM in response to FireStormBravo

When I shut down my Mac, from either freezing or normal, it hangs.

Not enough free space on the startup disk can cause the problems you are describing.

Click your Apple menu icon top left in your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac > More Info then select the Storage tab.

Make sure there's at least 15% available space on the drive.

If it's not a storage space issue, try repairing the startup disk using Mountain Lion Recovery

Aug 11, 2012 12:37 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

At the moment, I cannot look to see how much free space I have, but I know that I have much more than 15% free. Before I made this post, I should have ran Disk Utility myself to see if there was a problem. I ran Disk Utility yesterday, and Disk Utility found my HDD corrupted. I booted from the Recovery HD as Disk Utility advised. I repaired the disk twice over and also repaired permissions three times. It should be highly unlikely that Disk Utility missed anything.

Upon restarting my MacBook, the same problems continued. Today I took my MacBook to Best Buy and had them look at it. I bought an extended warranty plan when I bought my MacBook, so if there was a hardware problem or accidental damage, it would be covered. The GeekSquad was pretty clueless and rude unfortunately. They basically told me to give it to them and sign all these forms, and they will send it off for two to three weeks. I declined, saying that first I would have the Genius Bar look at it, to their displeasure; I could tell. I would expect a Mac technician working for Best Buy to be much less qualified and experienced than an Apple Genius.

I suspected that it was a logic board or HDD problem; they agreed. Apparently a $330 protection plan does not cover software either. I would have to pay close to $100 for the GeekSquard to run their own diagnostics. The GeekSquad admitted that their diagnostics were not much more advanced than what they suspected I could do on my own. It did not make sense to me why Best Buy did not just give me a new similarly-priced Mac. It would cost them almost as much as a new Mac to ship it, get a new logic board, pay labor, and ship it again, especially only to find out that the logic board was not the problem. Just think if it was a HD problem: they would have to repeat the entire process! Especially consideirng how much I paid for the plan, I can't wait two to three weeks. I won't have a computer for school. All my data could also be lost (even though it's crudely manually backed up).

I went home and did a little more research on troubleshooting possible Mac hardware problems. I found that Apple has a Hardware Test (AHT) for this. I had to put in one of the disks that came with my Mac to launch AHT. AHT ran a quick test and found no problems. I am runnning an extended test now, while writing this post from another Mac. If the extended AHT finds no problems, I expect that the problems are occuring form a software issue, which is not covered under my Best Buy warranty. It is good that I did not give Best Buy my Mac, then. They would have replaced my logic board and maybe the HD for no reason.

I now have significant evidence in the form of photos, videos, and demonstrations to prove that my Mac has problems, along with a few tests of my own to rule out some possible causes. I have a Geniu Bar appointment today at 4:45 PM EST; it is now 3:36 PM EST. I hope and know that Apple will be much more helpful. I will provide an update in a few hours.

Thanks anyways for replying!

Aug 13, 2012 8:28 AM in response to FireStormBravo

The Genius Bar resolved alll of my problems. He ran a more advanced AHD, which found no problems. Then he tried another fresh operating system from their server (connected to my Mac by Ethernet). The problems did not occur in this OS, so he expected that it was my software. He ran an overnight diagnostic, and my hard drive was found to have failed the test.

I authorized a wipe, and one hour later I had basically a brand-new computer. I had so much junk on it, my Mac almost needed it anyways. Alll of this was free too. What is the moral of the story? Buy your Mac from an Apple Retail Store with AppleCare!

Problems With My MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.