Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

This computer does not support video chats

BEFORE i upgraded to Mountain Lion, iChat video worked fine.

NOW video chat does not work with Messages (see attached screen capture).

the camera is detected and working (green led comes on when i open Audio/Video Preferences), but Messages thinks the machine does not support video chats.

any ideas?

User uploaded file

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 8:34 PM

11 replies

Oct 6, 2012 7:09 AM in response to techcafe

No clue as to what is wrong, but others have suggested to start up a terminal window and enter "defaults write com.apple.iChat newbwdup 300000" and then restart Messages/iChat.

I have had this problems on several computers after upgrading to ML, and the solution works.

It may also be possible to delete the ichat and messages preference files in your Library/Preferences directory. To get to the library directory, click on the Go menu in Finder, and then press alt/option and Library will appear as a menu option.

Oct 6, 2012 2:23 PM in response to techcafe

Hi,

This is to do with what Internet speed Messages or iChat thinks you have.

At application start up there is a check on what Internet Speed, both up and down there is.

If the App Starts up when the computer does the process of establishing a network can distort the figures.

mholm80's post is an old way to fix it.

Writing direct to the com.apple.ichat.plist saves having to delete it and then reset all the preferences and some menu choices

You could delete the plist.

You can check the computer is not busy doing other things

You can check other computers are not using the same network with downloads and the like.

Also try changing the Bandwidth in the pic to 500kbps and restarting the app.

User uploaded file
10:23 PM Saturday; October 6, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Oct 4, 2013 10:49 AM in response to Allan Gengler

HI,

The post of Oct 6th 2012

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4194694?answerId=19915229022#19915229022

Reads:-

No clue as to what is wrong, but others have suggested to start up a terminal window and enter "defaults write com.apple.iChat newbwdup 300000" and then restart Messages/iChat.

I have had this problems on several computers after upgrading to ML, and the solution works.

It may also be possible to delete the ichat and messages preference files in your Library/Preferences directory. To get to the library directory, click on the Go menu in Finder, and then press alt/option and Library will appear as a menu option.

My emphasis.

EDIT.

The Original Poster also never returned to the Thread.

User uploaded file
6:43 pm Friday; October 4, 2013

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.4)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Message was edited by: Ralph Johns (UK)

This computer does not support video chats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.