Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

v10.6.8 Snow leopard won't update

Snow Leopard won't update, no matter how many times I try. I suspect Flashback is the reason. How can I scan and remove it? Complete Mac novice. Any assistance is appreciated!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Aug 9, 2012 10:20 PM

12 replies

Aug 9, 2012 10:58 PM in response to whatshername100

I doubt that very much. I'd also be sure to do the following:

Repair the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your Snow Leopard Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior and/or Tech Tool Pro to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Aug 9, 2012 11:00 PM in response to whatshername100

Also, see the following:

Fix for Software Update

See Troubleshooting Automatic Software Update in Mac OS X.

Delete the following files:

• /Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
  • /Home/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist
  • /Home/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.xxx.plist where "xxx" is a number.
  • /Home/Library/Caches/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate/ (delete entire folder)

Aug 10, 2012 1:58 AM in response to whatshername100

whatshername100 wrote:

iTunes, Security Update 2012-002, SMC Firmware Update, just to name a few. I haven't tried installing the standalone updates.

The problem with that is that many updates must be installed in a specific order. This will help you with the order of release of the security related ones: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222. With the others you'll probably have to just insert them based on the file's modification dates.

Be advised that the last person I tried to help that had this problem could not install the downloaded versions either. Your best bet is to trash the files that Kappy gave you.

Oct 8, 2012 12:54 PM in response to whatshername100

Had the same problem - Software Update showed 11 items downloaded for installation, 4 requiring a restart, but when I clicked on 'Install and Restart' no installation or restart occurred (there would be a pause, with a couple of blank or background screens, and then back to the login screen). I tried unselecting many items and installing just one or a few at a time. In particular. one item was an update to Softwrae Update itself (requiring a restart) and I selcted this one for installation on its own. All the installations and required restarts then worked ! I suspect there may have been some kind of conflict between the update to Software Update and the other updates.

Oct 31, 2015 10:09 PM in response to whatshername100

I also tried with Tiger to update after installing from original disks it went into Darwin ,so it was a good job I partitioned so I installed 10.6 and that too stalled a bit ,Apple does not want to support old OS X and pushes the free ones that are more complex and all the Apps we bought and can not use on new versions,they do not care about old customers who were from the 90s and paid a lot of money I have 26 computers 6 of them broke since 1998

v10.6.8 Snow leopard won't update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.