Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

I have recently purchased a seagate 1.5TB external hard drive in order to back up my MBP from late 2011.

I have opened time machine and formatted the external hard drive with the disk utility to Mac OSX (journaled).

However after all this time machine, even after several attempts just keeps freezing at certain points of backup, such as the most recent it just froze backing up at 5 GB.

Help?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 12:28 AM

16 replies

Aug 10, 2012 12:37 AM in response to thebunnys

Sounds as if you've done all the right things - the disk is properly formatted and you can mount it and select it as your TM drive? I've no idea why it wouldn't be working. Is it a USB drive? I use Hitachi G-Drives on Firewire 800 and have no problems with my TM backups. Sometimes those USB 3.0 drives that promise - and should have - USB 2.0 'backward compatibility' seem to have a problem.

Try heading over to the Great Pondoni's site which has a whole range of FAQs about Time Machine - http://pondini.org/TM/FAQ.html. If you can't find an answer there I would try the drive using FW800 if it's available or purchasing a drive with FW800 capabilities. I've not had a problem out of my G-Drives (purchased from Amazon) but have read of several people having problems with USB drives for some reason. Why? I have no idea - Seagate makes good drives and the most problematic drives seem to be Western Digital.

Of course, it may not be your drive at all. I'm not there to see the problem and I'm only speculating...

Clinton

Aug 10, 2012 12:45 AM in response to thebunnys

Hi thebunnys.

How did you format the external hard drive to Mac OS extended (Journaled)

Did you do it through the erase tab or the parition tab of disk utility?

Also, have you tried verifiying your internal hard drive using disk utility?

At this point, it can either be how the external hard drive was formatted or some file/folder on the internal hard drive is stopping the backup.

Hope to hear from you.

Aug 10, 2012 1:21 AM in response to thebunnys

Since it was done to using the partion tab, switch to the erase tab and select the external hard drive's parition for the Time machine backup. For the security option, select zero out. That would be the second marker from the left.

Before you do that, have you done the verify disk option for your internal hard drive (Macintosh HD)?

Aug 10, 2012 3:23 AM in response to thebunnys

Just go ahead and use Disk Utility to format the drive as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" - if it's a new drive, there's really no need to zero out the drive; just click on the "Erase" button. Then try setting up the drive as your Time Machine backup again and try backing up your internal drive.

Is that what you're trying to do?

Clinton

Aug 10, 2012 3:30 AM in response to thebunnys

1) Go to disk utility and click the partition of the external hard drive. That's the one that's indented right below th ename of the external hard drive.

2) go to the erase tab then on the lower left side of the window, click security options.

3) Since the operating system is 10.7, the options would be presented as a line with 4 divisions with fastest on the leftmost part. Adjust the marker so that it is on the 2nd "division" of the bar. It would decribe the option as writing a "single pass of zeros"

Clinton, I advised the zero out since the existing Time Machine backup on the external drive may be corrupted. I believe that it is thebunnys' initial backup so it wouldn't hurt to zero out the external drive just to be safe.

🙂

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.