Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find my mac can't get a location on my mac

I can detect my other devices from Find my iphone app; (on my ipad) but for some reason my imac does not show up. I checked the proper box in icloud preference pane; whats up? If I sign out; to sign back in; it wants to delete all my notes....

any fix to get it to be recognized?

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 2:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 3:01 AM

Is your Mac on a WiFi network or Ethernet?

It needs to be on WiFi for the location feature to work as that is how it triangulates the position - using the known location of nearby WiFi networks.

3 replies

Aug 10, 2012 3:16 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

How else do you propose the computer's location is detected? Unlike iPhones, computers do not have GPS in them, and Ethernet networks cannot be detected wirelessly.

You're are limited by the laws of physics and the available technology. Even Apple can't overcome those.

If the computer is stolen all the thief needs to do is wipe it before connecting the the internet. There's nothing that a determined and tech savvy thief cannot bypass, one way or another.

Find my mac can't get a location on my mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.