Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac dead and won't turn on after lightning storm

Lightning fried my mac; its dead and won't turn on, in spite of having a surge protector; my question is what part is likely damaged; and what does a repair cost without Apple Care.?

Thanks

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 3:21 AM

7 replies

Aug 10, 2012 3:37 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

Hi rasperryaddiction!

I was wondering if you've tried resetting the SMC (support.apple.com/kb/HT3964). It's very simple to try before considering having the computer repaired. If it really doesn't turn on after resetting the SMC, then contact any Apple Authorized Service Provider or and Apple store near you. Tell them what happened to check if they can give you a quote or something buy, they might ask you to bring it in to confirm the issue. It really does depend on which part was affected.

Aug 10, 2012 10:24 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

Just on an outsiide chance, did you check to see that the outlet supplying the AC power actually IS supplying power? A quick, simple no-cost check can be plug in a light and see if it works in the same outlet you use for the computer.

You may have blown the surge protector so do not use the protector for this test. Go directly to the outlet.

imac dead and won't turn on after lightning storm

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.