Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command-X and Command-V not working in finder

I am unable to cut and paste files in Total Finder using Command+X and Command+V. Even selecting 'cut' and 'paste' from right-click menu is not working. Drag and drop works fine. Facing this problem after upgrading from Lion to Mountain Lion.

Please help.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 3:35 AM

12 replies

Aug 10, 2012 3:40 AM in response to Mahasur

Have you Updated your "Total "FInder" app to Version 1.4, as required to be compatible with Mountain Lion?:

TotalFinder runs with Mountain Lions

User uploaded file

Good news! TotalFinder 1.4 works fine under new OS X 10.8 - Mountain Lion.
And it got even better.

The upgrade is free of charge for all existing customers

Although I put long hours into maintaing the software and communication with people, I didn't really bring any major new feature since Lion upgrade. I think it is fair to keep it as a free update. Save your budget or buy some other cool productivity software.

Hope this helps 🙂

Nov 26, 2012 6:52 PM in response to Radiation Mac

Hi All,

I am having the same problem of not being able to perform "command-x" and "command-v" (cut & paste) in Finder on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

When I go into the Finder menu options and click on the "Edit" tab menu, it appears that the "Cut" button is not available and appears as disabled.

Any suggestions on how I can enable this?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Jan 2, 2013 7:25 AM in response to jdavid4it

jdavid4it wrote:

Hi All,

I am having the same problem of not being able to perform "command-x" and "command-v" (cut & paste) in Finder on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

When I go into the Finder menu options and click on the "Edit" tab menu, it appears that the "Cut" button is not available and appears as disabled.

Any suggestions on how I can enable this?

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Cut in the Finder is only available if you have text selected, and is cuttable, like when renaming a file.

Cutting a file is not supported as it doesn't make much sense.

You can copy a file and choose to Move it when you paste by holding down the option key.

Command-X and Command-V not working in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.