Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dock folder alias icons not showing

So, I used to always make aliases of my most used apps and drop them in different stacks on my dock to stay organized. For some reason (and this worked when I had the programs running on OS X Snow Leopard and Lion) MS Office products will not show up as an alias in the dock. I can put the application file there instead of their folder in Applications and the icon shows but I do not want to do this in case it needs to reference anything else in the same folder. I have opened the stack's folder in finder and clicked 'get info' to see if the icon showed there, and it does. Its not essential since the app still opens but I think it looks much nicer than a blank page for an icon.

MacBook Air (13-INCH, MID 2011), OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 5:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2013 10:54 AM

Remove the folder from the dock, then re-add the folder from Finder. For whatever reason this refreshes the icons.

4 replies

Apr 10, 2015 8:08 AM in response to mason195

Strange, but I did that and still have an alias icon in my "Web Browsers" stack that still shows as blank white paper icon. It happens to be the Opera browser. I also have a "Microsoft Office" stack and Microsoft OneNote was doing it, but now it shows correctly.

I checked the folder in Finder (I store it in Documents) and all alias icons in the two folders above show fine.

Any other ideas?

Dock folder alias icons not showing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.