Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use a 'gifted' app code with AC?

I have an unused redemption code for an app that was gifted to me (the code was sent to me by a school administrator). Can I manually add this to Apple Configurator so that I can manage this app on our school iPads? I don't believe it was purchased through VPP, so it's not on a spread sheet that I can import to AC. It's a very expensive communication device app, so I need to be able to move the app between iPads as our students move through the school system. Thanks.

Apple Configurator-OTHER, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 6:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 8:15 AM

By default, whenever you connect a supervised device to Apple Configurator, any apps which were installed on that device by a user will be deleted.

With Apple Configurator v1.1 or later, you can change this setting in Preferences, under the Apple Configurator menu. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5203

So, if you install the app as a "user" using whatever apple id you would normally use to install a standalone app, you can change the preferences setting in .1.1. You would not use Configurator to install the app but add it manually to the device being used by the student or group of students in question. Given that you only have one code you could not legally place it on multiple devices anyway so there is no point in loading it through Configurator.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2012 8:15 AM in response to SLPinCA

By default, whenever you connect a supervised device to Apple Configurator, any apps which were installed on that device by a user will be deleted.

With Apple Configurator v1.1 or later, you can change this setting in Preferences, under the Apple Configurator menu. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5203

So, if you install the app as a "user" using whatever apple id you would normally use to install a standalone app, you can change the preferences setting in .1.1. You would not use Configurator to install the app but add it manually to the device being used by the student or group of students in question. Given that you only have one code you could not legally place it on multiple devices anyway so there is no point in loading it through Configurator.

Aug 15, 2012 9:58 AM in response to gyrhead

Thanks, gyrhead, your answer helped me understand the situation a bit better. However, I'm still a bit unclear on how I will be able to use my redemption code. I do not want it on multiple devices, but I do want to assign it to a single device, and then revoke the app and reassign it to a different device at a later date. From what I understand, such assigning/revoking/re-assigning is best done through Apple Configurator. However, will I be able to manually add my code to AC in order to use it that way? I understand that I can always install the app manually on the device the usual way, but then it is there to stay, and cannot be revoked/reassigned. Thanks.

Can I use a 'gifted' app code with AC?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.