Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an adapter out there that will convert a thunderbolt port on my Macbook Air to my HP L2245wg monitor?

I am considering buying a new MacBook Air but I also want to sync it with my HP L2245wg monitor and I am wondering if there is a solution out there that will do that for me without having to buy a new Mac Monitor with a Thunderbolt port. Here is the link for the monitor's tech specs (http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13125_na/13125_na.PDF). It has VGA and DVI-D Connectors, so I need an adapter that will convert thunderbolt to that or usb. If anyone can help me out on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 7:18 AM

3 replies

Aug 10, 2012 8:02 AM in response to johnstph

For purposes of just hooking up a monitor, the Thunderbolt port will look like a Mini-DisplayPort, and the converters for that to VGA or DVI will work just fine.

The DVI adapter Apple sells is on their online store at:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/A

As well, Apple Stores and any other vendor that sells the MacBook Air would also have those connectors in stock. The VGA adapter is the same price--just converts out to VGA.

Note the connector merely adds the equivalent of a DVI or VGA port, so you'll still need a cable. However, most monitors come with at least one of the cables (DVI or VGA) if not both.

Aug 10, 2012 8:09 AM in response to ezollars

So that adapter you just linked will fit into the thunderbolt port in my MacBook Air? It doesn't look like it will. I need to hook up the Macbook air with this monitor, so what cord will achieve that? The MacBook Air only has the thunderbolt port so it needs to be an adapter that is thunderbolt on one side, VGA or DVI-D on the other. Sorry if I am not understanding your post fully, I admit I am a bit of a novice when it comes to understanding these things. Thank you so much for your post!

Aug 10, 2012 4:41 PM in response to johnstph

Yes the same video adapter works. I have a MacBook Air and an older MacBook Pro. The late 2008 Pro has a Mini-Display Port and the 2011 Air has the Thunderbolt port--and I interchange adapters between the two.

You do have to make sure you have a Mini-DisplayPort cable and not one of the various other adapters--Apple has had a bunch of adapters over the years, so you do have to make sure you get the right one. A couple of generations back is a mini-DVI to VGA or DVI adapter, which would clearly *not* be the one you want :-).

You might want to visit an Apple Store or another retailer that sells Apple products and then it will be eay to make sure you have the right adapter--there's only one that's going to fit the Thunderbolt port, and it's pretty obvious when you look at it that it's the one you need.

Is there an adapter out there that will convert a thunderbolt port on my Macbook Air to my HP L2245wg monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.