Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to assign a shortcut to "Share > Email" ?

In Lion, it used to be "New Email With Attachment" and I can assign shortcut to it. In Mountain Lion, they renamed to "Share > email" under contextual menu. But I can't assign a shortcut to it since I don't see it in Keyboard Shortcuts Pane. So how do I assign a shortcut to "Share > Email" ?

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion, 2.3 GHz Inel Core i5, 16 GB of RAM

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 8:46 AM

15 replies

Sep 6, 2012 8:25 PM in response to SingingFriar

I am sort of half way finding how to do this but not yet completely functional.

To add the shortcut:

1. launch System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > Application Shortcuts

2. click the "+" button

3. select "Finder" on dropdown.

4. Under "Menu Title:", type "Email" without the quote. Then type in a keyboard shortcut. I use command+shift+e.

5. when you do the contextual menu next time, you will see the shortcut right next to the word "Email" (see screen shot below).

User uploaded file

The problem is only contextual menu works, but the shortcut doesn't work despite it appears next to the word "Email".

Here's even more strange: if you select the file by clicking and holding until the file name (text part) is hilighted, then, do the shortcut key command. It grabs the text name of the file to Apple Email instead of the whole file. So it reconizes the text but not the file itself.

I hope Apple read this and fix this problem. I filed a complain at their feedback form before but so far no updates are yet tackling on this issue.

Oct 12, 2012 3:22 AM in response to Astroboy2000

This is the closest I can find so far to fixing the problem. Just to be clear - the problem is that we need a keyboard shortcut to create an email with the finder slection as the attachment. This used to be a servivce that you could add in:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts >Services

The option in Services seems to be now be aclled 'New email with Selction' but doesn't appear in the Services menu of the Finder when added here.

Your solution does iondded make a keyboard shortcut appear in the right-click menu, but it doesn't work s ayou poiont out. Perhaps it is a 'syntax' issue when entering details in Sys Prefs?

Be great to know an answer to this one!!

Feb 10, 2015 12:56 AM in response to Astroboy2000

Hi,

The link is indeed broken. I’d like to see it.

If you still search for this solution you can create it this way:

—— Create the service ——

1. Open Automator

2. (open new if needed)

3. Choose type of the document Service

4. On the top you will find Service receives selected, select files or folders

5. Click on the Mail icon on the left

6. New Mail Message

7. Drag it to the window on your right. I my case I selected my primary email address, cause I have several.

8. Save (Cmd+S). I set a name like "send via email"

—— Set your shortcut ——

1. Go to Preferences

2. Keybord

3. Shortcuts

4. Services

5. Find you file (send via email) and click on add shortcut on the right (shift+cmd+E). Make sure you don’t have other items with the same shortcut.

That’s it you just have to select a file and hit shift+cmd+e 🙂

Take care guys 🙂

How to assign a shortcut to "Share > Email" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.