Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use automator or applescript to capture and paste text

Hi,

I have two separate applications that need to share data and the developers are refusing to work with each other.

Many years ago, I worked in QA but in an MS environment and we had tools that could capture images and text and input that back in. I was hoping I could do something similar with either automator or applescript.

More specifically: This is for a dental office. The program that interfaces with the X-ray machine and processes the radiographs has a completely separate database from the patient management system. All of the patient information currently resides in a database within the patient management system so when we go to take an X-ray on a new patient, we have to retype all of the patient's information into the X-ray program. Double entry wastes time and has a higher probability of errors. I was hoping that after the assistant opens the patient's chart, either automator or applescript (or a 3rd party app) would be able to look at that screen, identify a few pieces of text that are always in the same place within the window (name, dob, gender, chart no., etc.) and copy that information and then paste it into the same fields in the X-ray program window.

Any ideas?

This is going to drive me nuts...

Thanks!

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 8:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 1:18 PM

The real soluiton is to have a 3rd program that bridges them both.

I've done exactly this for clients. We normaly use Python because its open source and can link into any db out there.

Your talking about "screen scrubbers". I've used them to for software QC and automated testing. They don't work anymore since "data execution protection" and memory protection in general became popular.

You can write an Applescript (not sure Automator can handle it) to select any field of any running application and copy what is there, then paste it somepalce else.

So, in theory, you could make a script you run at the blank screen that goes and copies over the currently selected patient in the other App.

I'd really rather see the "bridge" app I mentioned first though.

Add support for "LDAP" to your software requirements and this problem will go away. I mean really, why let them spend money making a "patient" databse when they can use the services of an off-the-shelf LDAP server!

What is LDAP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAP

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2012 1:18 PM in response to DumbAsARock

The real soluiton is to have a 3rd program that bridges them both.

I've done exactly this for clients. We normaly use Python because its open source and can link into any db out there.

Your talking about "screen scrubbers". I've used them to for software QC and automated testing. They don't work anymore since "data execution protection" and memory protection in general became popular.

You can write an Applescript (not sure Automator can handle it) to select any field of any running application and copy what is there, then paste it somepalce else.

So, in theory, you could make a script you run at the blank screen that goes and copies over the currently selected patient in the other App.

I'd really rather see the "bridge" app I mentioned first though.

Add support for "LDAP" to your software requirements and this problem will go away. I mean really, why let them spend money making a "patient" databse when they can use the services of an off-the-shelf LDAP server!

What is LDAP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LDAP

Use automator or applescript to capture and paste text

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.