Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

There's still life in PowerPC

Just wanted to share this interesting bit of news. I'm sure we've all been hearing about the NASA Curiosity rover which landed on Mars earlier this week and has been sending us pictures. Well did you guys know that it's being powered by a G3 PowerPC (750)? Kind of makes me proud to be a PowerPC owner.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/08/mars_probe_cpu/

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 9:06 AM

5 replies

Aug 10, 2012 9:12 AM in response to applefan_since1998

Still have a G5 iMac (being moved aside on the desk for a new i7 iMac, and a Power Mac 7600/132 with a Sonnet G4/450 card in place of the 604, and two Power Macs, a G4/400 and G4/800...never thought much of the G3, skipped over to the G4 instead.

Also have a MacBook Pro i7, so most work is now on the Intels, but the G's are still there and operational.

Aug 11, 2012 12:28 PM in response to applefan_since1998

This is not Apple-specifc, but ...

A friend likes the video-editing capabilities of a PC software product that was never updated from its Windows 95 version. But because he thoroughly enjoys that hobby, he keeps an older tower unit running Windows 95. He has Windows 7 systems as well, but if the tool still works, why throw it away?

Happy computing!😀

There's still life in PowerPC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.