8 Replies Latest reply: Apr 28, 2013 12:54 PM by Eric Root
Swiggen Level 1 (0 points)

I have had this problem and it was solved in the following way.

Spotlight took 3 days to index, during that time Time Machine would not finish and kept hanging sometimes after 2kb!

Throughout this time the message was estimating time to index so it appeared that Spotligh kept hanging.

So after reading around I realised that people were reporting this problem and that Spotlight's indexing seemed to be creating problems so I let the Spotlight indexing finish and then reconnected the Time Machine external HD which then did its job as usual.

So my advice is to let Spotlight index first before turning on Time Machine....and be patient.

Good luck.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion, Just upgraded to Mountain Lion
  • Jeff O\'Shea Level 1 (15 points)

My spotlight is finished indexing, but my time machine is still hanging.  I went into spotlight to make sure that it was not trying to index my backup...when I chose the drive, it told me that spotlight does not index the time machine drive.

• Swiggen Level 1 (0 points)

...have you tried restarting?

Restarted and now I'm on "Preparing Backup" now for over 2 hours...I'll post you later.

28 hours later, I know have a full backup!   Let's see how the next one goes.

• Christian David Level 1 (10 points)

Lucky guy! TM is still ... doing something (backup?) and I think I'll have to wait the numerous next Mac generations: estimated remaining time is 'about 12 246 days'.

Wait and see

• cjcarton Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks for your suggestion, Swiggen.

Following on your suggestion, I've turned Spotlight off completely since I really don't need it.

Time to completion is now showing 15 hours as compared to the maximum it has shown of 1,501,347 DAYS.

Well see how long it takes to complete, but I have hope for the first time since I installed Mountain Lion.

• arezendes_02 Level 1 (0 points)

I'm running 10.8.3 and none of the following solutions worked for me:

1) Waiting for Spotlight to index (no affect)

2) Turning off Spotlight indexing using a sudo command in the Terminal (no affect)

3) Restarting the machine and trying again (I've done this several times - no affect)

4) Be patient (Really? Once I've seen the big city in a speedy TM, there's no way I'm going back to the farm)

These aren't answers. Even if anyone has success with these, they are poor workarounds that don't get at the root problem: Performance for people upgrading from an earlier version  to  TM in 10.8.3 is unacceptable.

I agree with many who've posted on the subject that TM in 10.6.8 worked flawlessly. I never had to wait more than a few hours even for a full, start from scratch backup.

2 to 4k a second is what I get now. That isn't going to cut it when I've got 290Gigs of data to back up. This just doesn't work for me, and I'm not finding a legitimate, universal solution to this problem anywhere.

With this new operating system, Apple has essentially crippled their own product in Time Machine and is forcing users who don't have the time/patience/desire to wait more than a day (or even overnight) to mess with this. Before, it just worked. Now, it's a big headache. I love you Apple, but you're killing me here.

• Eric Root Level 9 (50,458 points)

Send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem solved sooner.

Feedback