Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mountain Lion Mail - Replying From Wrong Email Address

Hello-

In Mountain Lion Mail, when I click reply to an email, the FROM filed is the same account the email was sent to.

If I have a rule applied to a message that delivers it to a different folder when it arrives, if I click reply, it uses my default email address, and not the email address the message was sent to.

To be clear, if I hit reply to a message that doesn't have a rule applied, then the action works fine, and it uses the email address it was sent to.

The problem only happens when I have an incoming email routed to a different folder in Mail, based on a set rule in preferences.

Driviing me crazy of course. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion, 3.4 Core i7 Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 2:24 PM

19 replies

Aug 22, 2012 8:47 PM in response to zenbum1

I don't use rules on any of my accounts, but I was experiencing replies from my other accounts as being replied from my primary account (the one selected for new messages) in Mail 6.0. I ended up deleting .plist and other Mail files after exporting my mailboxes to the desktop. This reset Mail and I had to setup all my accounts again. I use POP so this was trickier than past versions of Mail. I did multiple send/receive/reply tests and all replies (so far) show the correct "from" address so this seems to have resolved the issue.

To access the files to be moved to the Trash, quit Mail and go to Finder, Option-click the Go menu and select Library>Preferences and move com.apple.MailMigratorService to Trash. Also App Support>Mail>Acct Types>com.apple and move MailAccounts.plist out as well. Also Library>Mail and trash all contents of Mail folder.

There may be a simpler way to resolve the problem, but this is what I did and the problem seems to be resolved.

Sep 25, 2012 12:49 PM in response to zenbum1

I have had a similar problem since upgrading to Mountain Lion. My email was all being sent from the same address regardless of which account I tried to use. This included gmail and other accounts, too.

I tried many solutions posted in the support forums and elsewhere, to no success. Some accounts were gmail, others were yahoo or icloud. I finally fixed the problem today by changing the server in mail preferences for all the gmail accounts from "gmail" to smtp.gmail.com:myname

and inserted my email account name for "myname".

Now my mailbox functions properly as it did in Lion.

Sep 27, 2012 10:16 AM in response to FreddiePie

I am having the same problem . . . I route my important e-mails from multiple accounts to a mailbox other than "In", and that is the one I check regularly. When I reply to them, Mail always sets the "From" address to be the first account on my list of accounts. I want the "From" account to be the one that received the e-mail. I converted from Snow Leopard and this worked properly there.

Do you know whether there has been a fix yet?

My old (Windows) e-mail program, that I uses before I converted to Mac, allowed rules for outgoing messages as well as incoming messages . . . which could fix this problem. Does anyone know how to do that with Mountain Lion mail?

Sep 27, 2012 11:42 AM in response to teknikks

Hello-

Thanks for your post. Were you replying from folders created in Mail, or from the main inbox of a specific account?

The problem only seems to occur when you use a rule to move a message to a user created folder, and then reply from that folder.

I haven't tried completely resetting Mail beacuse this problem was hapening after I did a clean install.

Thanks.

Sep 27, 2012 11:52 AM in response to zenbum1

Yes . . . I am trying to reply from a folder I created in mail.

I have rules that I apply to incoming e-mails, and I automatically move incoming e-mails from clients and other important correspondents to a folder I have created. These incoming e-mails may be addressed to any of three or four different e-mail accounts. When I reply to an e-mail in that folder, I normally want to use the e-mail address from the account to which that e-mail was originally sent.

Sep 27, 2012 12:08 PM in response to BAAI

I was able to fix the problem. My email was all being sent from the same address regardless of which account I tried to use. In my case, the problem is connected with gmail accounts. In Mountain Lion when you create mailboxes through the system preferences it has an option to use "gmail" as the server for all gmail imap accounts, "icloud" as the server for icloud accounts, etc. Somehow using the simplified server address caused the error.

I fixed this problem by changing the server in mail preferences for all the gmail accounts from "gmail" to smtp.gmail.com:myname

and inserted my email account name for "myname".

I did the same for other accounts, using the longer smtp address for all IMAP accounts. The problem was fixed immediately.

Sep 27, 2012 1:24 PM in response to maggie 227

I have tried what you say (I think) Maggie, but it doesn't seem to work for me. However, the accounts I am concerned about are POP/SMTP accounts, not IMAP accounts.

I was using my local ISP's SMTP server instead of the account server for several accounts, but I changed it back to the account's own SMTP servers and that didn't help. Then I put ":myname" after the SMTP server URL, Mac Mail tells me the SMTP server is offline (I have tried this with multiple servers).

Note: I have observed that if I reply to e-mails that are in the "Inbox", Mac Mail responds from the proper account, but all of my critical e-mails are transferred to another mailbox (to separate the wheat from the chaff) using a filter on the inbound e-mails and I prefer not to give up that approach.

Oct 7, 2012 12:56 PM in response to BAAI

I reported this problem to Applecare and reached a CPU Senior Technical Advisor (2nd level support), who was able to duplicate the problem. He reported the problem to Engineering, which got back to him with the following information:

• Engineering was aware of the problem
  • No decision had been made regarding when or if the bug will be fixed.

He suggested that I also report the problem to <http://www.apple.com/feedback/>, which I have done.

I would like to suggest that the other poster to this thread also report the problem through the feedback page (pick the Mac OS X option and select Mail on the feedback form). The more people who report this, the sooner Apple is likely to fix it.

Here is what I wrote in part: "The reply function does not work properly in Mac OS X Mail when I reply from any mailbox other than Inbox. When I reply to an e-mail that is in any other mail box other than Inbox, Mail selects the default e-mail account to put into the "From" field instead of the e-mail account to which the original e-mail was sent. This worked properly in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is broken in Mountain Lion." I also gave the Case # of my report to Applecare.

Mountain Lion Mail - Replying From Wrong Email Address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.