Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to dual screen with MacBook Air?

I am looking at getting a MacBook Air for work and am wanting to use my current dual screen setup. With my Dell, I can dock it (closed) and work with two 19" monitors working as an extended desktop. I don't see an Apple product that seems to allow for this...any suggestions?

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 6:47 PM

3 replies

Aug 10, 2012 7:34 PM in response to bjjjcr

Well, with the 2012 MacBook Air you *can* do it via an Apple solution--but it won't be inexpensive. The graphics chip in the current Air supports three displays--one internal and two external. But you'd need a way to connect two monitors to the Thunderbolt port. You could do so with the Apple Thunderbolt display since it has a Thunderbolt port that passes through.

Unfortunately there are limited options for Thunderbolt aside from Apple's own.

However, here's an article on the Apple options:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/06/new-macbooks-can-manage-many-many-monitors/

Note that MacBook Pros now come with multiple Thunderbolt ports, so those could do the dual monitor while in clamshell mode without having to daisy-chain via the Thunderbolt port.

Best way to dual screen with MacBook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.