Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion OD Replica Admin Tips?

Hello;

I have set up an od replica in another geographic location. Both servers involved are lion 10.7.4. Everything seemed to go well however I am able to add users to the replica through the server app, and configure network accounts with home directories that exist on the replica... set up filesharing on the replica.. is this the way things are supposed to work? I am in a distributed environment where some services would be better served from one server ie., ical, ichat and others better served per server ie., home directories, filesharing, wikis.... I am concerned however as the small bit of literature I have found suggests that the od database should be read only on the replica.

I am having a hard time finding any documentation on just how this is supposed to behave and how it is supposed to be configured beyond the initial "make this server a replica" stage. If there is any one out there that could shed some light on this or point me in the right direction it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted on Aug 10, 2012 9:11 PM

2 replies

Aug 12, 2012 4:03 PM in response to Mark23

Actually, there seems to be nothing that I cannot do yet. I have added users, user groups, computers, computer groups, configured mobile accounts, successfully logged in ALL from the replica and I see all of this reflected in the wgm of the master. My intention is to do this with several more servers, all being replicas of one od master. I have read however that all od user modifications, save password changes can only be done from the master, and that the copies on the replicas are read only however I am not encountering that. I cannot find definitive information on the intracacies of configuring a replica(s) and would like some direction so that I may be confident that I am doing it correctly before I involve myself too deeply. For instance, if I am making a fatal mistake by configuring the way that I am I would like to know however I find it perplexing as to why, if one is not supposed to modify the OD from the replica, I am able to do so...

Lion OD Replica Admin Tips?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.