3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 11, 2012 7:52 AM by turingtest2
Cyberpundit Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Hi. My old laptop (MBP) was giving issues. AppleCare identified hard disk failure, and has returned my MBP with a totally new replaced hard disk.

This works fine and I'm busy installing all old software, but there's one problem: my iTunes does not sync with my iPhone anymore?

How/where should I tell this "new" iTunes that this is the iPhone I want it to be associated with? It shouldn't replace and delete anything on my iPhone, as it keeps threatening, but FIRST copy everything right now on my iPhone and THEN sync it with the iTunes for future.

How should I do this?

I've done the "Transfer purchased from iPhone" bit, but this has NOT picked up:

1. Many books that are from my own ePUB and PDFs inside "iBook"

2. All the music (there's nothing new on iTunes copied from music already on iPhone)

What else? Why is this so bloody hard, for a company that prides itself on good UI design and it "just works"? In this case it's far from just-works.

Any pointers appreciated!

• Cyberpundit Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)

Why is it not available "in the other direction"? What is Apple trying to achieve, or limit? Looks like this requirement is one that MANY PEOPLE face.

I do not have any backup of my old library etc. Because all the stuff is on my iPhone. Why do I need a separate backup?

Could you please recommend an external software program then that will allow me to:

1. Extract all my items -- all apps, all music, all the books etc within iBooks, etc.

2. Then when iTunes has "freshly synced" this new iPhone and thereby erased everything because this is what Apple thinks is "good functionality", the said app should pull all the stuff back into iPhone.

PLease tell me there's a software (paid or free) that does this?

Thanks.

• turingtest2 Level 9 Level 9 (61,445 points)

Cyberpundit wrote:

Why is it not available "in the other direction"? What is Apple trying to achieve, or limit? Looks like this requirement is one that MANY PEOPLE face.

Long standing design of iTunes, presumably to prevent people casually swapping media with each other and keep the record companies on board.

I do not have any backup of my old library etc. Because all the stuff is on my iPhone. Why do I need a separate backup?

I guessed. Because as you've just found out extracting your media & other data from your iPhone is a non-trivial task.

Could you please recommend an external software program then that will allow me to:

1. Extract all my items -- all apps, all music, all the books etc within iBooks, etc.

2. Then when iTunes has "freshly synced" this new iPhone and thereby erased everything because this is what Apple thinks is "good functionality", the said app should pull all the stuff back into iPhone.

PLease tell me there's a software (paid or free) that does this? 

Suggested software listed in the user tip. I don't have a personal recommendation. It isn't quite as simple as buying the software and pushing one button. iTunes can extract all your iTunes purchased content, 3rd party tools for anything else. You need to work through the steps given to get your device to see the new library as the "home" computer and to preserve contacts, calendar info. and application data.

tt2