Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i uninstall apps?

how do i uninstall apps?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 1:40 AM

5 replies

Aug 11, 2012 1:45 AM in response to crash.007

The quick response is to drag the app from the applications folder to your trash. Depending on the app, though, this process may not remove all of the entries and/or files that the app installed. If the app in question placed an uninstaller somewhere in your applications folder, use the uninstaller.

You might also specify which apps you'd like to remove if you're having trouble, and the community can help you better by recommending procedures to follow for each app.

Aug 11, 2012 2:07 AM in response to crash.007

All have provided some good short answers but alwaysforever presents some caveats.

To sum it up:

Some applications come with uninstallers that will remove all traces of their software. Adobe, for example, is very good at this. The problem with uninstalling some apps that do not come with an uninstaller is that they may leave some auxiliary files behind - usually nothing to worry about but, in some cases (very few) those 'left behind' files can cause problems down the road.

If an app comes with an uninstaller, use it. One or two apps that I know of that come with uninstallers (MacKeeper comes to mind - just stay away from it) don't remove everything. Usually these apps are considered malware. If an application doesn't come with an uninstaller, I always use a 'cleaning' application instead of just dragging apps to the Trash. Personally, I use AppDelete but AppCleaner is good and is free. Both give you a chance to look at what is being selected to be deleted.

If you're unsure how to go about uninstalling a particular application, just post back here. Normally an uninstaller is best but if none is available, use AppCleaner (or AppDelete).

Good luck,

Clinton

how do i uninstall apps?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.