Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What version of Logic is compatible?

I upgraded to Snow Leopard from Tiger, installed 2GB RAM (an upgarde from 1GB). I now want to install a version of Logic but which is compatible? I am currently running Mac OS X ver 10.6.8 w. 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - It says my Memory is 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM but I installed 2GB so I don't know whether this just hasn't changed since I installed it?!!

Surely either Logic 7, 7.2 or 8 will work but I can't figure it out. Please help me!!!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Logic

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 3:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 5:57 AM

It says my Memory is 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM but I installed 2GB so I don't know whether this just hasn't changed since I installed it?!

Something is wrong if your RAM upgrade has not registered the new stick.

I am presuming you have two 1GB RAM modules in each of the two slots?

Maybe you have not pressed the added module fully 'home'.

Your iMac 1.83 Ghz is not very definite. Better to state your model identifier.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 11, 2012 5:57 AM in response to escaney

It says my Memory is 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM but I installed 2GB so I don't know whether this just hasn't changed since I installed it?!

Something is wrong if your RAM upgrade has not registered the new stick.

I am presuming you have two 1GB RAM modules in each of the two slots?

Maybe you have not pressed the added module fully 'home'.

Your iMac 1.83 Ghz is not very definite. Better to state your model identifier.

Aug 11, 2012 10:07 AM in response to escaney

Logic Express 8 & 9 both work on our 10.5.8 & 10.6.4 iMac9.1s

1.83GHz and 2 GB RAM is probably going to be marginal, though, especially for the full-cream version.

I doubt that the earlier versions would be any better in that regard. As 2GB is the maximum that model can address, regardless of OS version, I would expect that rendering times will become annoyingly slow and the number of tracks/instruments it can handle at one time would be limited.

Aug 31, 2012 2:57 PM in response to noondaywitch

So I've researched Logic Express (it looks pretty good) and I have everything I need except PCI Express card... Can I install that on my computer?

Also: 'I would expect that rendering times will become annoyingly slow and the number of tracks/instruments it can handle at one time would be limited.' - Are you talking about the full version or express?

Getting really frustrated and contemplating just selling mine for a minimal amount and buying a used but newer model, preferably with Logic already installed on it. Do you know what hazards come with that ? i.e what to look out for in terms of licensing issues. And any good websites for that type of thing ? (other than the obvious ebay / gumtree)

Thanks very much for your help, it is really appreciated!

Sep 1, 2012 5:07 AM in response to escaney

escaney wrote:

So I've researched Logic Express (it looks pretty good) and I have everything I need except PCI Express card... Can I install that on my computer?

You lost me there - what does a PCI card have to do with anything?

Your computer can't use one anyway,

Logic Express is just the "light' version of Logic Pro. Frankly for the difference in features against the difference in price, Logic Express wins hands down.

As for rendering times, either version would be affected; just depends how many tracks you want to run.

Logic Express 9 can currently be had on Amazon for between £105 and £150 (approx $166 to $238)

Apple no longer stocks it.

Have to come back to you on the rest - got GP qualifying to watch!

Sep 12, 2012 3:53 AM in response to noondaywitch

Haha, thanks!

Re PCI card: I read on a review online that said in order for Logic Express to work you need a 'PCI Express Card' - I have absolutely no idea what that is but it said the system requires it or Logic Express won't work. I just wanted to make sure because I can't afford to buy the software and then have it not work!

Cheers!

What version of Logic is compatible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.