12 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2014 7:48 AM by babowa
Kathy Welter Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I cannot burn a disc on my iMac..not sure if I ever have but I think I have.  The message I receive is:

The attempt to burn a disc failed.  The disc drive didn't respond properly and can't recover or retry.

iMac 17 inch, Mac OS X (10.4.7)
  • RRFS Level 5 Level 5 (4,490 points)

Try a

SMC RESET

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

• Shut down the computer.
    • Unplug the computer's power cord and ALL peripherals.
    • Wait 15 seconds.
    • Attach the computers power cable.
    • Wait another 5 seconds and press the power button to turn on the computer.
    • The 5 second timing is important to a successful reset.
  • shadowann Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the exact same problem.  Tried resetting SMC but that didn't solve problem.  Stll get error message at end of burning.  Burn looks like it's working OK until the end when error message pops up.  Burned files are on the disc but disc won't open.

• LeanaBeana Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Any updates on this issue? My MacBook Pro is a year old and I've never been able to burn a disc. I've been avoiding getting it checked it out because I'm lazy and afraid of the potential cost to fix the problem. I'm now past a year, but I doubt this is something that would be covered by the year warrantly regardless.

This is a huge bummer for me because I love making mixes for my friends. I never had a problem with my old MacBook. I actually resorted to uploading my music onto my old MacBook (my sister now has it) and burning discs from there. I should not have to do this after spending $1,400 a year ago.

• babowa Level 7 Level 7 (27,915 points)

A faulty optical drive would have been replaced for free during the warranty period.

• LeanaBeana Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just burned a cd at 4x and it worked. Hopefully a slower burn speed is the solution for most folks. It's still pretty annoying that my old laptop performs better than my new one in this respect. Oh well.

• Wicked Magpie Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

CAN YOU SAY DELL?

I just burned a cd at 4x and it worked. Hopefully a slower burn speed is the solution for most folks

Burning faster than that can easily create burn errors/coasters. I've always set it to about 2x and have never had a problem - having a DVD take 3 more minutes is insignificant.

Do you realize that your comment is addressing someone who has not responded for almost a year and a half and, using all caps is considered shouting.

• Clairessejane Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

After scouring the web for answers, i realize it is mac not me.  I followed every step correctly to burn my cds but have ruined an entire box of cds and alot of my time.  Mac needs to fix this. People have tried absolutely everything and nothing works permanently. Mac should be ashamed.

• MichelPM Level 6 Level 6 (10,105 points)

First, It's Apple NOT Mac.

Instead of blaming Apple, instead of using Apple's own burn software and procedures, have you tried other burning software?

Have you tried Roxio Toast?

http://www.roxio.com/

There is another free CD/DVD burning/authoring software called simply Burn

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

Also, it helps for more consistent and reliable burning of discs if you stay away from bargain, generic bulk discs and stick with known brands, like Verbatim, Memorex, Maxell, Sony, etc

• MichelPM Level 6 Level 6 (10,105 points)

babowa wrote:

I just burned a cd at 4x and it worked. Hopefully a slower burn speed is the solution for most folks

Burning faster than that can easily create burn errors/coasters. I've always set it to about 2x and have never had a problem - having a DVD take 3 more minutes is insignificant.

Really!!!???

Seriously???!!!

If the CD disc and the burner drive can suppot it,  should be able to burn, at least, CDs faster than 4X!!

My LaCie CD/DVD optical drive supposedly can burn CDs up to 48 X speed, although I have never tested this at that speed. I have burned CDs sometimes, in the past, at 24X speed and the data was fine and perfectly readable.

I can burn CDs stably/reliably at 8X and 16X times speed. I, usually, burn my CDs at 8X speed, if they are not going to be like an archival style disc.

DVDs, typically, burn at slower rates than CDs.

If I want a more permanent data disc or archival style disc, I usually burn either 2X or 4 X speed for that type of data disc.

I do not how much knowledge you have about how burning discs of data work, so I'll try and keep this as brief as I can.

There are two different lasers in a CD/DVD read/burn optical drive. Also, the elastomeric dye layers on CD/DVD write discs are different dyes and colors, but the method/procedure is the same.

When burning data to an optical disc, the lasers doing the burning heat up the dye layer leaving a dark spot and slight deformation of that darkened dye layer spot or pit of data.

The faster you want to burn the disk at, the less amount of time the stationary laser stays on a particular spot on the disc and the heat generated from the laser is less causing a lighter spot of "burned" data to appear on the disc.

The slower the disc spinning rate the darker and more deformed the data spot/pit will be making a more lasting impression (excuse the pun) on the disc creating a more permanent mark of data on the disc.

For data burned at faster discs speeds above, say 16 X speed, The drive may read the data for awhile as the read laser strength can cause a disc that has been burned faster and leave lighter data pits to fade faster and, eventually, data will not be able to be read any longer from a faster burned disc.

If you want to burn and keep, long term, archival data discs, these should be burned at slower speeds to affect the dye layer more permanently to keep those dye spots/pits as dark as possible and the deformations in the disc dye layer for much longer periods of time.

That stated, most combo CD/DVD optical burning drives should be able to make a reliable reading CD style disc at speeds much faster than 4X speeds.

If I am making a DVD movie DVD, my drive can only burn these up to 8X speed. I,usually burn DVDs at 4X speed.

Even for data archiving, I burn the DVD archival data discs at 4X rotational speed.

If I am making a DVD movie DVD, my drive can only burn these up to 8X speed. I,usually burn DVDs at 4X speed.

Even for data archiving, I burn the DVD archival data discs at 4X rotational speed.

I prefer 2x (and I don't appear to be the only one):

https://discussions.apple.com/message/25099339#25099339

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24961092#24961092

That stated, most combo CD/DVD optical burning drives should be able to make a reliable reading CD style disc at speeds much faster than 4X speeds.

I rarely burn CDs, but since my speed settings work for DVDs, I use the same settings (up to 4x) as I'd rather be cautious and wait a few more minutes. And yes, most all of my movies are burned to an archival disk for keeps.