Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility Erase button is greyed out

My iMac 27" (late 2009, core intel i5 model) had its 1TB hard drive replaced early 2012 after it failed SMART, it died. The Apple re-seller repair centre fitted a new drive and loaded a version of Lion and sent me home in that configuration, I then migrated my account across from TM - all okay. When I went to get ML yesterday the App store said you can not make a purchase. After scouring Apple Communities on same subject I tried a few things suggested but did not work. I have everything backed up on TM.

Today I tried to erease the HD so I could re-install Lion from scratch and then hopefully upgrade to ML - now the Disk Utililty erease button is greyed out!- does anyone know how to get around that?

iMac 27, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 8:44 AM

8 replies

Aug 11, 2012 11:43 AM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thanks Ralph, as the HD was exchanged and pre-loaded with Lion by the repair shop I now notice that there is no recovery partition on the drive when looking at it on disk utility. Also Command-R never works on start up - looks like the HD replacement maybe the problem as it is wrongly installed for OSX. Not sure whether to take Mac back to repair shop and get them to sort this, if any further ideas please let me know.

I have no other start up disk and looks like no recovery partition......

Aug 17, 2012 3:28 AM in response to BigDag

If starting holding the Opt key does not display the normal hard drive and the Recovery HD, then the repair shop did not properly install Lion on the replacement hard drive. You can try restarting holding the Command+R+Opt keys and that should put you in Recovery mode over the internet directly to Apple's servers. This is best done with an ethernet connection to your router, or absent that, you should be using WPA or better security.

Aug 20, 2012 8:46 PM in response to Ralph Landry1

Thanks Ralph, I realised when the reseller replaced the broken HD earlier this year that they must have re-installed Lion as a cloned copy, no recovery partition as you correctly say. I have everything backed up on a time capsule. I went to same repair shop yesterday and they admitted THEIR mistake, the solution was to wipe the drive and install Mountain Lion (with recovery partition). I checked partition was definately there using terminal utility (diskutil list) before I left shop. Repair guy was very helpful and let me stay in workshop during re-install.

Everything backed up perfect from time capsule and I am back in business with the upgrade to ML which was how i discovered the original problem.

Moral of the story for me is the poor back up from Apple in an emergency situation, all they state is COMMAND + R, the machine at least could detect there is no recovery partition and tell me to use COMMAND + R + OPT. This fallback is not advertised very well and should be in big lights!

Anyway I am very grateful for the support on the communities and to guys like you Ralph.

Disk Utility Erase button is greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.