Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Frozen Email screen

My mail screen on iPad 2 is frozen on a blank white screen with only the four icons appearing in upper right. This happened after trying to copy photos into an email. Tried rebooting, syncing...nothing seems to work. Please help.

iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:07 AM

12 replies

Aug 11, 2012 10:09 AM in response to BC Nancy

Rebooting like this?

Reboot the iPad by holding down on the sleep and home buttons at the same time for about 10-15 seconds until the Apple Logo appears - ignore the red slider - let go of the buttons.

You can also quit the mail app completely and restart the iPad. Go to the home screen first by tapping the home button. Double tap the home button and the task bar will appear with all of your recent/open apps displayed at the bottom. Tap and hold down on any app icon until it begins to wiggle. Tap the minus âž– sign in the upper left corner of the app that you want to close. Tap the home button or anywhere above the task bar. Restart the iPad.

Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Aug 11, 2012 10:52 AM in response to BC Nancy

You dont need to use the mail app to paste the photos the way that I'm talking about.

Do you have a word processing app on your iPad? Like Pages perhaps? If you do you could open a new document and tap and hold down on the screen in order to get the Paste option to pop up and paste the photos into that document. I don't know that it would work anyway. I'm just throwing out different ideas.

Or has the mail app completely locked up the iPad and you can't use it all?

Did you try to force quit Mail and then restart?

Force quit the app by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears. Let go of the sleep button and then hold down on the home button until the app quits. Restart the iPad. Restart the iPad by holding down on the sleep button until the red slider appears and then slide to shut off. To power up hold the sleep button until the Apple logo appears and let go of the button.

Aug 11, 2012 11:16 AM in response to Demo

I tried to paste in Notes but it pasted text that I had copied after the photo incident. I went through the force quit according to your directions but unfortunately, it didn't work. Still getting a blank white screen when I tap my mail icon. Is there any way the mail app can be deleted and reinstalled?

All other apps on ipad are working fine. I was able to email a photo within the photo app. When my problem occurred I was copying photos into an email within the Mail app.

Sep 26, 2012 2:45 AM in response to BC Nancy

The hard reboot did not help me.

However, I understood that it was a problem with the actual e-mail I was trying to compose because I had tried to attach 4 pictures to it.

Long story short, I deleted the 4 pictures from the photo library. Mail came back to life and the message I was trying to compose appeared, however, without the pictures. Deleted that, including the draft and everything is fine now.

Hope this helps someone.

Jul 2, 2015 4:25 PM in response to morogi

Same thing happened to me but I was trying to text pictures to email. I had to delete the pictures I was trying to send and also the whole text conversation of the person I was trying to email. I had tried everything else first and then I tried to text a new picture to email and then "Wa-La!" , the mail screen opened up and started to work again. Thanks for posting the answer!

Oct 18, 2015 2:11 AM in response to BC Nancy

I the same problem. My ipad2 had been slowing down for some time. Then when I tried to send seven large photo files by email the email screen became frozen and blank except for a few icons at top right.

Remedies proposed the forum did not work for me.

I solved the problem by (1) installing updates (2) backup iPad on iCloud (3) reboot by pressing both buttons at once and holding down for about 20 seconds.

By doing this the iPad was restored to normal function in all regards.

wrote:

Frozen Email screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.