Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'make' not found - how to Reinstall Xcode?

After upgrading to Mt.Lion and installing the latest Xcode from App Store, make has disappeared.

/Users/chap$ locate make | grep '/make$'

/Developer/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make

/Users/chap/private/www.gtoal.com/wordgames/jacobson+appel/PROBLEM_SOLVER/make

/usr/lib/logo/helpfiles/make

/Users/chap$

Wondering if the Xcode installation failed. At any rate, several posts on the web suggest reinstalling Xcode - which the App Store won't do because I already have it.

There's no "Install Xcode.app" that I can find on my system. Nor do I find anything xcode-related in /Library/Receipts.

Thanks,

Chap

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:03 AM

6 replies

Aug 11, 2012 10:26 AM in response to K T

Via the App Store? None.

I went to the App Store > Purchases page to verify that, and noticed that the Xcode purchase date is Feb 2012. I also noticed that, although nothing is listed in the Updates page, OSX Mtn. Lion has an enabled Download button (as does OSX Lion and Xcode for Snow Leopard). In other words, I can learn nothing sane from these App Store status reports.

I was trying to do some CPAN installations when I encountered the make problem.

Aug 11, 2012 11:35 AM in response to K T

Yeah, no, I guess I didn't get that tweet. 🙂

Thanks for the hint! Everything is now fine. For the sake of anyone else following this thread (and I will stand corrected if this is not precisely accurate):

I don't know when this was introduced, but to get command line tools in Mountain Lion OS X 10.8, you need to not only install Xcode, but also use Xcode > Preferences > Downloads > Components and install Command Line Tools.

'make' not found - how to Reinstall Xcode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.