Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem capturing and/or importing hd video

I have always edited standard def video but I trying to switch to hd. I have no problem capturing standard def video into final cut.

Final cut express 4 will not capture my 1080i hd footage that I shot on a professional sony cam. So then I captured the footage on quicktime thinking I could import into final cut from quicktime. When I try to import, the only thing that shows up is the audio and when I put it in the timeline it says 'codec could not be opened'. I called apple support and he suggested that I need to convert the footage but I don't even know what program to use. I would think this sony camera shoots pretty standard format that would be universal. Is there a setting in final cut that I need to change? Whats going on? If I can't get this fixed I may have to go back to standard def video. Thanks.

iMac

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 10:21 AM

9 replies

Aug 9, 2018 1:03 PM in response to bigjmart

Bigjmart - I had the same issue with dropped frames using mini dv tapes when using my Sony HD video camcorder. I was also capturing 1080i footage but experiencing dropouts when playing back on my tv or when importing on my iMac. However, it was pointed out to me there is a difference in the mini dv tapes I was using and true HD mini dv tapes. Make sure you are using the (more expensive) Sony HD tapes. After I switched, I have experienced no dropouts.

Aug 13, 2012 10:47 AM in response to bigjmart

Exactly what model Mac do you have, what versions of OS X, QT and FCE are installed? What is the capacity and free space on your system HD?

Are you using an external hard drive for your video ... if so, what make/model, capacity and free space, and is it connected to your Mac via USB, FW or TB?

(FYI, dropped frames typically occur when your hard drive cannot deliver the video fast enough; this usually happens if your system HD and/or external hard drive are more than 50% full and/or if you are using an external USB drive. It can also happen if you have other programs running the same time as FCE.)

Aug 13, 2012 10:50 AM in response to bigjmart

Exact model, please.

And exactly what FCE Easy Setup did you use?

"MiniDV tape" would seem to indicate that it's an HDV camcorder. You have to use one of the HDV Apple Intermediate Codec easy setups for HDV video. If you incorrectly used one of the AVCHD Apple Intermediate Codec setups with HDV video, that could be the cause of the problems.

Problem capturing and/or importing hd video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.