Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable notifications for shared calendars?

My girlfriend and I are sharing calendars. Every time she adds an activity, Calendar on OS X Mountain Lion notifies me via notification center AND from within the app. I disabled this when subscribing to her calendars on Lion and iOS 5, but it's enabled for Mountain Lion by default.

How can I disable both?

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion, Late 2010

Posted on Aug 11, 2012 11:07 AM

26 replies

Oct 11, 2012 1:10 PM in response to Nijntje

OK, I have successfully stopped my wife's shared appointments from triggering alarms in my Notification Center!

Go to Calendar (desktop machine), and right-click on a shared alarm in the left sidebar. Choose "Get Info" from the popup menu, and then click the check box next to "Ignore Alerts".

If you have more than one shared alarm, you must do this for every one of them.

For my iPhone and iPad, I was able to disable the alerts from the Settings app: Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Shared Calendar Alerts (turn slider off - it's the last item on that settings page). Too bad this operation isn't consistent between desktop computers and mobile devices - I thought that was what Apple's been trying to do since Lion!

Oct 18, 2012 3:47 AM in response to DavidSLynch

Thanks David, I too had been trying only the "Turn off shared calandar messages in Notification center" in Preferences on my Macbook Pro, but continued to receive shared notifications. Then I used your suggestion above to "Get Info"and click "Ignore Alerts" on each shared calendar. Funny thing, when I went back to preferences, it had unchecked the "Turn off shared calandar messages in Notification center", so I had to recheck this option. Now both are sticking and it seems to have stopped the unwanted shared notices. Thanks for your post!

Others, if you are still having trouble, double check your MBP preferences as you may need to re-check this option.

Thanks

Tim

Jan 31, 2013 2:31 PM in response to Nijntje

Does anyone know if Apple have been officially advised of this bug, especially on the iPhone? Because there have been 2 updates to IOS 6 and nothing has been fixed yet. My wife and I had only just discovered the whole calendar Sharing and Invitation things on our iPhones for IOS 5 and it was great. But now since IOS 6 it's hopeless. I would have thought it would have been fixed by now?

Apr 18, 2013 6:43 AM in response to Nijntje

Hi folks, I like the way google handles viewing/sharing calendars way better, but I have been able to find a pretty decent solution: I subscribed to the calendar instead of "join" the calendar. I had the person send me their calendar's public subscription url instead of "inviting" me to the calendar. Then, I am able to remove alerts, and, if de-selected, it doesn't show up in the notification center on my mac or on the iphone/ipod.

The cons: I can't add events to the calendar, but I was willing to give that up so I could enable/disable alerts and notifications.

How to disable notifications for shared calendars?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.